Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Born day


“The longer I live, the more deeply I learn that love—whether we call it friendship or family or romance—is the work of mirroring and magnifying each other’s light.” —James Baldwin

Birthdays are moody bitches, aren’t they? Every year, the same haunted melancholy. Why is that? 

Maybe it’s only that I’m awake in the dark at 2 a.m. on my birthday. I’m tapping this out on my phone, my man snoring softly beside me. I’m going to lunch later with four moms I know from my son’s middle school years. We’ve reconnected more intentionally recently, women of a certain age and stage, finding comfort in friends who knew us when. When they hatched the lunch plan I said yes and didn’t mention it was my birthday. It occurs to me that the moms I’m close to from my girl’s middle school years all know it’s my birthday and will be texting me with many emojis later. Yet we’re all so busy doing our separate lives these days, with new grandchildren, or increasingly frail elders, one still isolating because of Covid, another immersed in her art, and me in the tunnel channeling stories beside the big window. Just a difference in timing and maybe also school cultures perhaps. My son’s middle school was uniformed and traditionally structured, while my daughter’s was progressive and artsy-activist. Maybe one culture attracts planners and the other tends more to spontaneous pot lucks in the park in the rain. I appreciate both ways of being in community, though I miss seeing some of my friends. The Covid years seemed to pull the women I met through my son’s school closer together and spin the women from my daughter’s school further apart. Relationships go through cycles, I suppose, but love stays. You only miss the people you love. 

Then in the evening my kids are all coming over for cake and the now traditional birthday tequila shots. I’ll be better by then. 

Thoughts on waking: Never ruminate out loud in the depths of night. You will only embarrass yourself with navel gazing. Good morning! One more year. 



15 comments:

  1. Happy birthday beautiful lady. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, navel-gazing and all. :)

    (It IS funny how thoughts that seem unsettling or even frightening in the middle of the night can seem so inconsequential during the day. I wonder if our Stone Age ancestors coped with middle-of-the-night stress?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Rosemarie! Wishing you a wonderful year filled with good health, lots of love, and fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, happiest of birthdays, Rosemarie! May the strong sun of a beautiful day wash all of the shadows of night away for you so that you are able to celebrate yourself. You are the creator of so much- from words and books to two amazing children. And the co-creator of a loving, long-time marriage. Much to be proud of. Much to ponder with wonder.
    And by the way- you are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to you, Rosemarie. Sending you the very best wishes for a wonderful and celebratory day full of love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww happiest of birthdays to you! another year to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! my birthday has always been a personal day off no matter how busy the studio was. I have a letter to write to a man who was born one year before and one day after my own. A love interest that never bloomed and yet we have stayed in each other's hearts for 54 years through various boyfriends and girlfriends until we settled down with our spouses. He's a Colorado winter boy and I'm a Texas summer girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday. Aren't you glad you're here? So many are. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, you look so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Bet of Birthdays to you, Rosemarie. So glad you are going out to lunch with friends. Wishing you a happy, healthy year ahead. xx0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy happy birthday beautiful woman! Your advice about night/early morning ruminating made me laugh out loud. When I do it and the sun eventually comes up, I'm embarrassed at myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy, happy birthday, my friend! and thank you for your birthday wishes on my blog. Did you know you are the only other person I know who shares my birthday? So happy to have met you. And it's interesting how your children's mom-groups have fallen into the two groups so completely, and good that you have found your life enriched by both groups.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P. S. That is a wonderful photo, by the way

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Since you're into a tequila tradition, I'd highly recommend shifting from cake or just adding in key lime pie. Tequila and key lime are an excellent flavor combination! Learned this from a server in Kansas City. Spot on. Interesting observations about the two different school groups and what Covid has done. I noticed the more progressive types in central PA were "holed up" and/or masked much longer (however, there's a university and population is larger) than the more traditional types I see in NW PA, which is a more rural setting but with lots of unvaccinated Amish mixed in. Who knows? Too many variables in life - but intresting noticings you made nonetheless. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete