Monday, February 12, 2024

Super Bowl party on Work Island

  
 

The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers by scoring the game winning touchdown with 3 seconds left on the clock in overtime. An exciting game. We were all rooting for the Chiefs. Just can’t get behind the 49ers after how they did Colin Kaepernick wrong. The man and I had planned a quiet evening till our son called and proposed having a party here.  His pitch was he would take care of all the food and snacks and libations, all we had to do was open the door. He and his wife and one of their friends came, plus the nieces and one niece’s roommate, and one of my friends. Nine of us in all. Twas low key fun though we missed my girl, who’d been in Boston for a conference all week and came home sick. She and her love just cocooned at home in Brooklyn. 

Technically, Brooklyn is New York City, but to those of us who live on Work Island (which is what Gen Z’ers now call Manhattan because they all commute in from the outer boroughs for work), Brooklyn is like living in another place entirely. You never see the folks who live in Brooklyn unless you make a firm plan. My son lives near enough in Astoria, Queens to casually drop by but Brooklyn feels far. Funnily enough, when I moved to New York City more than four decades ago, young people never dreamed of living in the outer boroughs. That was for squares, old fogies, and families. But Work Island is priced out of reach these days so the outer boroughs have become where young people go, the new happening place to be. All the same, I miss having my girl nearby so I can pamper her when she's not feeling well. It's just the flu, not covid, and she's already feeling better, but still.


6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice, easy party. The best kind.

    This is going to sound odd but I love your kitchen lights. Where did you get them? I've been looking for something I like for three years and I saw your lights and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pixie, that 3 piece pendant light is from Hampton Bay. It's called "Oron-3 Brushed Steel Island Light with White Glass Shades." It also comes with the metal part in black, brushed nickel, or gold.

      Delete
  2. "Work Island." That's great. It's also great that your son wanted to have a Super Bowl party at Mom and Dad's. I love that all you had to do was "open the door."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I have one that lives about an hour away. The other one is working in Europe and presently vacationing in, wait for it, Vietnam.
    Worry, worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do football, but the husband was glued to it. Some tight game.

    ReplyDelete