Friday, October 4, 2013

Happy birthday to my beloved son

My firstborn is 22 years old today. It is such a blessing and a privilege to be his mother. He makes me proud every day. He has grown into such a fine and responsible man, yet still goofy and playful as ever. Story of the day: Last weekend he sat at our kitchen counter with my cell phone bill, convinced I was paying too much. He patiently circled items on the cryptic, pages-long, tiny-print billing statement and then called the cell phone company, going through his questions one by one and getting explanations, while having a good humored conversation with the customer service representative along the way. When he put down the phone he had shaved—wait for it—more than one hundred dollars a month from our family plan. This is usually the kind of thing I do for our family, but I've been too overwhelmed to pay close enough attention. I cannot tell you the relief I felt, and how taken care of our son made me feel.


Happy birthday to you my most beloved son. I am forever grateful you chose to be ours.




12 comments:

  1. Your son is a man. A good, good man. You have done your job and now you get to reap the joy of that knowledge. Happy birthday to him and to you. The world is lucky to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Angella -- he is so beautiful and caring -- you and your husband have raised him so well. Happy Birthday to him and happy birthing day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son is indeed a beautiful man. Happy birthday to him! And to all of you who call him your own. Sweet Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that your boy is taking good care of you. Good wishes on his birthday to both of you. x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to all of you! What a wonderful man you have raised and are blessed to call your son.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes my heart so full to know that you all are in the world. You and your husband provide gifts to us all, through such good parenting and love. Your son is exactly the kind of man we need in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I really really want to have kids such as yours, who will become fiercely independent spirits, yet care enough. Miss reading more of you, but I get it! Also if ever you want to find me on instagram, it's assiayaya (but i understand if you cant/won't/no stress, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your son! And WOW -- that cell phone bill story is impressive. Maybe he could go through my power bill? I am CONVINCED we pay way too much but I've been unable to get anywhere with the power company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With so many stories out there about children that are struggling I am always glad to read about children who are thriving. You have done well, sweet Angella.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your son, he is such a fine man. And it is so sweet of him to update your phone plan. Those calls can be so draining. I've been putting off mine too, and thanks to him for inspiring me to pick up the phone and do the same.
    You have done a fine job raising your babies into amazing adults. You should be very proud.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous and thoughtful man...Happy belated wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Out of all the many awesome things you have told us about your son, figuring out the cryptic and mysterious details of your cell phone bill and saving over $100 a month may just be the most impressive. Wow.

    I'm sure he had a celebratory birthday! I hope you all enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete