Sunday, April 20, 2014

Walking the High Line

My love and I went to Easter service this morning, then had brunch at our favorite neighborhood place, then headed to the High Line where we walked the converted railway track from end to end, stopping sometimes to sit in the sun and watch the surge of people who had the same idea. We ran into friends from Antigua who we were supposed to meet up with this week, and estimated that, like them, maybe three-quarters of the people on the High Line were visiting from elsewhere: We heard so many different languages going by, and observed so many different styles of dress, from the German hipsters to the Mediterranean metrosexuals to the Japanese preppie girls in pearls to the Greek othrodox families still in church garb to the flannel over tee-shirted college kids to the urban gay couples too cool for school. The people watching was spectacular, the picture taking less so, because the sun was high and bright and flattened everything, but no matter, it was a beautiful blue day, a little on the chilly side but not when you turned your face into the sun, then it was simply perfect. Here are some randoms from our Easter Sunday stroll along New York City's park in the sky.












17 comments:

  1. I am completely overwhelmed. What a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, it was in its way, perfect, even the early morning tears. Your day looked wonderful, too!

      Delete
  2. I think these photos are spectacular! I moved from the city before the High Line and haven't had a chance to see it, so I appreciate your being my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I am not a purist when it comes to photos. I pushed the colors a bit with Instagram, as you know. :)

      Delete
  3. You are a true artist. This photography is exceptional. And you look like a school girl in that photo. Just beautiful. Sweet Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Jo, thank you for that. I do think of my photos as art, albeit very personal art, but it is lovely to have them appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great day. I love that last photo of the mural. There was a lot of controversy when the High Line first opened and the city "buffed" some of the longtime graffiti on the adjacent buildings -- but it looks like it's been replaced by some more (even if officially sanctioned) street art, so that's good.

    What's the story behind your photo of what looks like a painting of a Baobab tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, the painting was on canvas in a stall, and the artist or seller was no where in sight, though I lingered for some time, hoping he/she would appear. I think I would have bought the painting if there had been someone there to tell me the price (if i'd been able to afford it of course). I love it. I can't even tell you the artist, unfortunately. Eventually I just snapped a picture. I do plan to go back and see if the artist is there next weekend. There were smaller versions of this painting in the stall, several different sizes, so I think it's one he paints again and again. Still, I love it and would put it on my wall. We shall see.

      Delete
  5. Simply beautiful to start my Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I'd love to know who you are.

      Delete
  6. Angella, these are very very good! Thank you so much for taking us along.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photographs are spectacular. They reach out and grab. Do you take these with your phone? I love looking at your city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, high praise coming from Page's mom! I do take these with my iPhone, but as I said to Elizabeth above, I am not a purist and happily push the colors and sometimes also crop creatively after the fact. xo

      Delete
  8. Your face is looking quite a bit thinner. And the walk looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the highline. I had a whole afternoon there to myself. God, I miss NYC.

    ReplyDelete