Friday, March 10, 2017

Traveling mercies

My sweet girl is bustling around, cleaning up her room, scrubbing the bathtub, doing last minute laundry. She's getting ready to leave for her big adventure. It's snowing outside. I am concentrating on breathing.

One of my nieces arrives tonight to spend her college spring break with us, so she'll be staying in my daughter's room. They won't see each other as my girl will arrive home on the day after her cousin returns to school. A few days after that will be our daughter's 23rd birthday even though I still see her as that little girl with the butterfly painted on her darling face.

My daughter's boyfriend gave her all sorts of "stay safe" precautions, as did his family. "Unless your father has a skill set we don't know about," his mother said, "bear in mind the movie Taken." But why do we worry so? I think it is movies and TV shows not to mention the nightly news that sell us the idea that the world is so dangerous. In fact, the vast majority of the world is benevolent, and my daughter's spirit is so kind and loving I choose to believe that she will attract only those energies to her.

She is meeting one of her lifelong friends in China, the inimitable Gabby, who is attending grad school in Shanghai, and together they will travel to Thailand. I am so happy for them, so gratified by their friendship, which began in second grade. Oh, to be young and footloose and called by the big wide world. My two have always been adventurers. They and their cousin traveled all over with their grandma at a very young age, my mother in her wheelchair, the three little ones around her like happy chicks, and they haven't stopped looking outward since.


13 comments:

  1. Yes. She will be fine. It's you who will suffer. Of course.
    Twenty-three? Remember where we were at that age. I'm sure you were living a very full and independent life and I had two children by that age!
    Breathe. She'll be home before you know it. (What a cliche. But it's true.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for her! Your little butterfly all grown up and going to China!! She will shine that beautiful pure light she radiates and always be protected. Rest easy Mama. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family tradition...I hope all stay safe and enjoy their travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How insanely gorgeous they are! (I'm assuming that's Gabby behind her?)
    And 23 is a wonderful age for exploring the world. Safe journey to both the beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She has a travelling companion - that is a definite plus. Good air in, bad air out, Angella. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bee u tee full girls!
    I think travel is serendipitous and if you see it that way, all will be well. Such a lovely gift you give her on her journey, Angela - the belief of benevolence and the sight of her spirit. And thank God they invented skype!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is safer than eve to travel. Everyone carries cellphones and has GPS.

    Maybe tuck a St. Christopher in her bag. I don't believe he is actually up there watching us. It's more of a talisman. It would make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels to your beautiful girl! I'm excited for her, all the people, sights,smells and experiences of a great adventure. Hope she has a blast!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. She'll be fine! When I was 23 my mother was worried about me and I wasn't even an international traveler. She was sure I was messing up my life. I hear meditation works wonders. If I would only do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She will be safe. I just know it. She is such a cute, smart, wonderfull being. I wish her all the luck in the world. And you too. Breathe and touch base with her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 23 is a wonderful age for exploring the world! 23 is the age where I first lived abroad (in China, actually) and continued to fall in love with travel of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Safe journey gorgeous girl. Enjoy the trip and come home safe!
    (We have 2 spare beds here......Harpenden...20 minutes from London on the train if she ever wants to visit UK ! )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course it's scary for you! But I'm sure she'll be fine, and she will learn SO MUCH. How terrific to be setting out on such a grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete