Monday, June 26, 2017

All clear

I'm sitting in a doctors' waiting room while my friend has her first follow-up visit post surgery. The doctor says they got it all and the prognosis is beyond excellent. She is relieved but this place now makes her anxious, a form of PTSD.

My daughter and niece and their boyfriends came over for dinner yesterday, and saved my Sunday. It was one of those beautiful sunny days, no humidity, mocking me for not being outside. I was trying to decide whether to go to the Pride parade, the Pride festival, or to just walk the High Line. The man didn't want to move from his spot in front of the TV watching the America's Cup race between the United States's Oracle and the Kiwis foot-pedaled catamaran marvel. It was indeed a fascinating display of sailboat technology, with hydrofoils skating the surface of a turquoise sea. I do enjoy seeing my man get excited about that yachty stuff; he grew up on an island, dreaming of boats. Still, back on land inside our apartment I was climbing the walls (I'm pecking this out on my cell and can't be bothered to think past cliches). I eventually settled myself down, and appeared perfectly normal for the rest of the evening. This is a whole new stage of life with the kids all moved out. I'm still finding the corners.

My friend is done with her visit. We're going to lunch. Later.


22 comments:

  1. That is excellent news about your friend. I hope you celebrated at lunch! I can understand her anxiety and expect that your company was probably an immense help to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jenny_o. We had a lovely lunch, her first time dining out since her surgery.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful news about your friend! Excellent, excellent, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It was a great relief. She said it was like the world was suddenly in technicolor, and she hadn't even been aware it had been in shades of grey.

      Delete
  3. YEA ! And you know I mean that :))

    You both better have had something luscious and satisfying for lunch, if this isn't the occasion for it I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. liv, i know you mean that! thank you. we lunched at one of our old haunts, nothing too fancy, but lots of good memories.

      Delete
  4. Great news!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that no matter where we are or what's going on, we're all sort of climbing the walls. I am glad to hear the good news about your friend, though. So glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, i think the very air is toxic right now. it's amazing how the negativity from washington spirals out, catching all the antennae around. perhaps if there were fewer antennae...

      Delete
  6. Great news and all the best with your friend. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Still trying to find the corners" A thing that seems to last quite a while after the house becomes quiet and the pets have all been buried, childhood taken to goodwill, too many beds in too many rooms. Adjustments, changes, and then somebody elects the most dismal of choices to rule our nation...I need to leave, for keeps, I am thinking. Your children are at such good ages - options to bail are pretty much in their favor! Best wishes to you with LOVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue, i so totally understand what you're saying. I wonder sometimes, how do we tell when it's time to leave? the instinct is to stay and believe things could not possibly get worse. My kids are in good places, though. Both are doing work they love, and are in relationships with people they love who love them back. Maybe this is as good as it gets and this is where I need to keep my eyes trained. Love.

      Delete
  8. gah is that your home!? just gorgeous.

    finding my own corners. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie May, no, definitely not my home. just a beautiful facade i passed on my travels around the city. i bet that house has some interesting corners, though. xo

      Delete
  9. I'm happy to hear the good news about your friend. Your writing is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, thank you for that kindness, and for being here. I am always happy to see you. xo

      Delete
  10. Sounds like someone needs and adventure sooner than later. I'm right there with you too!

    By the way I did tell my daughter to relax a bit while trying to find her place in the world. I told her it may take some time, like you had said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drita, I'm glad you told your daughter that. It's a stressful time when they just graduate, especially when they are as conscientious as your daughter clearly is. Love.

      Delete
  11. That is a handsome building in your photo and what wonderful news for your friend. Did you and your hubby ever go on one of those sailing vacations on a large sail boat? I know they have them off the coast of Turkey and am sure they have them in the Caribbean too. Sounds like something your husband might like and relaxing for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, it is indeed wonderful news. As for the sailing vacation, what a fantastic idea. He would love that. I am off to google this further...xo

      Delete