Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom


“In the afternoon, they stopped to eat on a rocky outcrop. Perry brushed a kiss on her cheek, and she learned that it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason, even while chewing. It brightened the woods, and the never sky, and everything.” 

―Veronica Rossi, Under the Never Sky 


I saw Moonrise Kingdom on Sunday, took myself to the movies on a fine summer afternoon when everyone else was busy. I used to do that a lot. In my twenties I would spend whole afternoons in the multiplex, going from one movie theater to the next, gorging on fantasy. On Sunday last, I did have a moment or two of wondering about the loners in the theater. An unaccompanied man sat behind me and I actually had the thought, If he pulls out a gun my head is the first one he'll find. In the wake of mass shootings, I'm suggestible like that. I failed to notice till later that I was one of the loners sitting there. The movie was sweet, not what I expected, but it touched me the way those misfit preteens found such acceptance and comfort in one another. Come to think of it, it was exactly the kind of movie that would draw in melancholy loners, but the yearning kind, the ones who ache quietly, not the violent. The photo above made me think of the movie. So did the quote, which is from a book I have never read, but now might.

12 comments:

  1. It is a sad world when we are afraid to go out of our homes. I pray for change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right Birdie. It does no good to be afraid.

      Delete
  2. That movie was like a love story to our own childhood selves, wasn't it? In a way? Especially if we were weird or odd or didn't have families like everyone else or, or....
    What a lovely quote. What a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Moon, i think that is what I enjoyed most about the movie, that it promised a sanctuary for the weird and odd. I guess I identified. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. "it was the loveliest thing to be kissed for no reason..."

    what a wonderful comment!!!

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote and picture are wonderful.

    I often go to movies by myself, it's sometimes easier to get absorbed in the show if there's noone talking to me or asking me questions. I'm the suggestible type too. Since the 1984 McDonald's shooting in California, I can't eat at any fast food restaurant without looking around, wondering. I look around at people all the time, in malls, at the beach, wondering who is capable of that level of insanity. It's hard to get these notions out of my head, to let go of the worry and fear. Modern life if full of fears for me, big, little, real, imagined. Maybe that's why I like the movies so much. I haven't been since last week, and I promised my son I'd go see Batman with him. He said it's awesome, one of his favorite movies ever, and I have to go see it, so I will. I'm sure, not unlike after 9/11, we'll all be looking around the theater, checking each other out, resolved to not be caught off guard again. So very sad.

    Glad you went, and glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, we are so much alike, I think. I too look around myself in fast food places, and in fact seldom go into them anymore. The alertness that follows such events seeps into me, till I'm not even aware that I'm acting on it. But then, as they say, feel the fear and do it anyway. I try to live by that, otherwise I might never leave the house! xxoo

      Delete
  5. HI! I still haven't seen this or any movie. But I have a working computer now thank bog and wanted to say Hi.
    love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca!!!! hello, love. I am so glad your computer is working again, and that you came by to say hi! xxoo

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to see this movie, but it's at our local theater now, and we can't go because Dave's parents are visiting. We need to wait for them to depart. I hope the movie hangs around a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, enjoy your in laws. And the movie, it wasn't what i expected but if you know the director, wes anderson, you'll know more what to expect. i understand it's very much in the vein of his other work.

      Delete