Saturday, September 16, 2017

Saturday


My daughter's boyfriend's mom (on the left in the photo above, with my girl and her guy) drove to the city from upstate to drop off some suits for her son, who starts his new job with a big data finance firm this week. His sister also came, and she made the most delicious baked ziti and a salad, and brought it over to our house so we could all have lunch together. His mom is a kindergarten teacher, and she was saying that they had a cradle in her classroom, but no baby doll to fill it. Why not a stuffed animal, my girl said, and ran to her former bedroom to find one from her childhood that she didn't mind parting with. The stuffed toy, and the dog my girl is taking care of for a vacationing neighbor, got into the picture too.

The upstaters left in plenty of time to get back home in daylight. The rest of us went out for a walk just now, in the dark, because my husband hadn't yet done his outside walking for the day. He was tired after our visitors left, and inclined to blow it off, but I knew he would feel better if he got in at least one walk. God has a sense of humor, I told him, because never in a million years would we have imagined I'd be the one pushing for us to go walking not once, but twice each day. The fact that these two lovely young people came along for the jaunt made it less like medicine and more like fun. I love that they live nearby. They helped make it a simple good day.

10 comments:

  1. I think the theme for today is that it's the little things. Little children, little stuffed animals, little walks, little visits. All of that.
    Plus, lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me happy that you had a good day. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A simple good day" - what a true observation. The little moments and the connections full of kindness and caring are what make life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much love in your photos, and being able to see the humor that walks side by side with love makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very nice Saturday gathering. I, too, understand that walking has great benefits for everybody. Excellent that you squeezed a good family walk in to your busy day. Group walks are the best. Walks with a destination are good too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful day! I am so glad your husband is improving albeit slowly. I hope you are taking time to pamper yourself some too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're there to help push your husband to walk. I'm sure it DOES make him feel better, at least in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful gathering of love. Yes, a simple good day...the very best kind.

    ReplyDelete