Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Knock Down the House

I urge you to watch the Netflix documentary Knock Down the House. My husband and I saw it this weekend and were so inspired we were in tears. It will give you hope for the future, and remind you that there are people among us working assiduously to turn the tide. It follows four women who ran for Congress in the 2018 midterm elections, focusing mainly on the improbable grassroots campaign and stunning victory over a a powerful twenty-year incumbent by the congresswoman from The Bronx, New York, Alexandria Osario-Cortez, aka AOC. She is that one in a million public servant who is the real true deal, equal parts grit, intelligence, charisma, commitment, and courage. I swear she will be president one day, or at least I hope so.

As AOC says, "For one of us to make it, a hundred of us have to try." And by "one of us," she means working class people like the women in the documentary, a new breed of politicians who are not in the image of rich, older, white men, public servants who understand first-hand the struggles of everyday Americans. AOC worked as a waitress and bartender herself while she ran for office. Since her win, opponents have tried to dis her working class roots, but she clapped right back: "I find it revealing when people mock where I come from, & say they’re going to ‘send me back to waitressing,’ as if that’s bad or shameful,” she tweeted. “It’s as though they think being a member of Congress makes you intrinsically ‘better’ than a waitress. But our job is to serve, not rule.”




10 comments:

  1. Wowser! I look away for a couple of days, and there are a bunch of posts. Happy Birthday, I love the family portrait. From your lips to God's ears on AOC becoming president. In my lifetime I would really like to see a woman in the big chair. It's wonderful to see your kids enjoying their work. So how did they build that big fire in the restaurant fireplace and not heat up the room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recommending this documentary. We will definitely take a look. We need inspiration these days, and AOC really does that for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your message .I have you back again and can catch up ! Lots of good things to read and some to get fired up by .
    Struck me for the first time that your man looks a black version of the saxophonist - same build and facial structure - we have good taste XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is really such a force to be reckoned with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But our job is to serve, not rule.”

    Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to email my friend who has Netflix and arrange to watch it with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to watch it for sure. I saw the trailer and even THAT made me cry. AOC shines like a diamond in a pile of dollar store glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I haven't been commenting. Just had the second surgery done...wooow! Anyway, she is the thing we have been praying for and never expected we would get. A true citizen. Yes to pres. AOC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her comeback. She 's right. Happy Mother's Day to you. You have been blessed to know and work with Dr. Simmons. Now, perhaps you have an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never cease to be amazed at how OBSESSED Fox News is with AOC. They clearly view her as a threat! Even when all the other news outlets are covering something else, Fox will be banging on about AOC doing something they view as outrageous. I'll check out this documentary!

    ReplyDelete