Friday, August 28, 2020

Thoughts from the center of my Black self


People are clucking over how awful all the looting and rioting is, as if the looters and rioters aren't white supremacist militia members infiltrating peaceful protests to give the protests a bad name. Also, why aren't those people so disturbed by the looting and rioting equally as disturbed by police shooting and gassing and brutalizing innocent men and women?


I am trying with everything I am to hold on to love. I remember when my daughter was five years old and a girl on the school bus who had watched Mississippi Burning with her family the night before, told my girl about the KKK for the first time. My daughter came home from school that afternoon and stood in front of me, her sweet face serious. She urgently wanted me to know something. "Mommy," she said, "do you know there is a group of white people and they hate black people and they kill them? They're called the KKK. Chelsea told me." This was the face that looked up at me, except the dancing innocence was gone from her eyes.
 
 
Oh we had a conversation that day, even though I had naively thought I'd have more years before we had to have this particular talk. "Yes," I told her. "I know about the KKK." When I assured her that her dad and I would keep her and her brother safe, I quickly saw that her greater concern was whether we would be safe. Makes sense, right? How could we keep her safe if we couldn't keep ourselves safe? I said something like "We cannot allow other people's hate to stop us from living our lives. We simply have to be careful about who we choose to be around, and if it becomes clear that someone means you harm, get the hell away from them. But never let another person's hate cause you to be hateful, too, because hate is corrosive to the body." "What's corrosive?" she wanted to know. "Poison," I said. "Hate poisons the hater. Don't let other people do that to you. You hold on to your loving heart, even when you're fighting against hate." She nodded. "Okay, Mommy," she said. I was glad, then, to have sent her to a school that didn't shy away from social justice conversations, a school that was instead actively raising children who would grow up to change the world simply by the way they live their lives. 


A friend sent me this photo of the window of Shakespeare and Company at 68th Street and Broadway. There's the book I co-wrote with Linda Sarsour on the lower right. The mask is a nice touch. The book's title, a quote from Linda, is a whole mood. We Are Not Here to be Bystanders.


That's Linda in her Until Freedom shirt. She looks like a freakin super hero cause she is. She and her Until Freedom cohorts have moved from New York City to Louisville, Kentucky to fight for justice for Breonna Taylor. That's commitment. May she be safe.

By now you've heard about the 17-year-old baby Trumper who drove from Illinois to Kenosha with a long rifle and began shooting into the crowd of protestors in Kenosha, Wisconsin, where unarmed Jacob Black was shot seven times in his back, in front of his three sons. People tried to tackle the teen with the assault rifle when he started shooting, but he ran. He tripped and fell and from the ground shot some more. He hit three people. Two are dead. Yet the murderer got up, walked away, waved at police as they rolled by and police waved back, offered him water, even though people were yelling "He's shooting people!" The shooter went home and slept the night in his bed before being arrested gently the next morning. His white privilege was a goddamned bullet proof shield. As Hannah Jones says, "No greater summary of America exists."


One of my friends posted this yesterday. It resonated so hard for me that tears spilled from my eyes. Rage and sadness. Anger and exhaustion. I imagine this is how LeBron James and Doc Rivers and all the other Black men in professional basketball were feeling when they walked out on Game Five of the playoffs on Wednesday night. Their white teammates stood in solidarity, and soon, so did the rest of the NBA, the WNBA, Major League baseball and the NFL. It was the fourth anniversary of the day Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the national anthem as the former 49ers quarterback, for which he was drummed out of football. Movement leaders are always ahead of their time, and are too often met with hostility and violence. We must protect them, mentally surround them with our love if that is all we can do. I pray the world is catching up to Colin and Linda and all the other warriors out here fighting for our very souls.
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Oh my beautiful family- if I could hand over my white privilege I would, I don't think I am strong enough because of privilege- taken for granted. It has fostered such weakness. Until the nation walks out on sports, music, theater in the name of Black Lives Matter, attention will continue its route to sensational looting, blue bastards "just doing the jobz". As my son recovers from fourteen injuries , assault by Portland police, he will take to court every young black life that can not even make it that far, white privilege, and when he wins he will credit justice for Black lives. No Justice No peace , I love you , your family is absolutely stellar, If love was a fragrance -I surround you with lemon tree blossom, the most
    divine fragrance at this moment. Stay well, stay in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue, thank you for raising a son who thought it important to march in Portland. I am so sorry he was injured in the fight for right, I am so very moved by his being out there at all. I send love to you, and also to him. Please thank him for his courage. The ones murdered by the shooter in Kenosha were white, too. It breaks my heart that people are being hurt for standing up for the basic humanity of my children and yours. Because inhumanity diminishes us all. You son understands that, thank you for that. May he be safe always, and recover completely. Stay well, stay in love. (I love that.)

      Delete
  2. I don't even feel as if I have a right to comment on this most succinct and well-written of posts. All I can say is that if I am feeling the way I feel after these latest incidents compounded with all of those which have gone before, I can't begin to imagine how a Black person can could possibly hold it all and go on with any sort of normalcy.
    What if every person in this country who is feeling these feelings took a day to stay at home, to refuse to participate in any work or schooling and simply sat with their feelings? Is that a crazy idea? The country would shut down and seventeen year old miltia boys would have no excuse to use their guns, the fascist government would have no excuse to use their troops. In fact, many of the troops might even stay home themselves. A strike of unimagined power.
    Probably crazy.
    I love you, Rosemarie. Thank you for raising your children the way you did. The way you do. For always keeping your loving heart even when it should be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine what it's like to raise children in this world, and have to explain this irrational insanity and hatred to them.

    As for the situation in Kenosha, you've captured the contradictions perfectly. There are so many problematic questions surrounding the mere presence of that 17-year-old, armed with an assault weapon -- not to mention his behavior and the police (non)response.

    Great post, Rosemarie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no words that I can summon that expresses how I feel reading this post. Tears rolling down my cheeks is all I have. I want to live in a different world. I want my arms to be long enough to reach across this country and hug you while we weep together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so tired of this never ending and beginning before any is were born assault against our persons and our humanity. So tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our tears are sacred, keeping love alive,

    "Look around you, my sisters and brothers. We are each other's greatest hope, the beating heart of a nation. WE are what democracy looks like."
    (p. 9)

    "I am humbled to be making this walk of love and faith with all of you."
    (p. 244, We Are Not Here To Be Bystanders)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemarie I am just relieved to find you here tonight. Your book with Linda is such a work of great tenderness and strength. No one should have to have that conversation with their children. I’m just so glad to find you here tonight alive on the page warm and strong.
    Love
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear your weariness in your words. This has been a hard summer. I hope that there are lasting gains for all this heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete