Saturday, October 31, 2020

Strumming along

I got back the copyedited version of my manuscript and the copyeditor is simply lovely in her comments, respectful of the work in a way that leaves me completely open to her every suggestion, resisting nothing. Before I turn this back in on November 12, I am to add an update on the election, and God alone knows what I will write for that. I'm praying the outcome will allow for a triumphant ending to the book, rather than the utterly depressing "the fight continues."

My son's financee's dad said no matter the outcome, he will cry. If Biden wins, he says, he will cry for joy. "But if Trump wins," he added, "I will weep for weeks." I feel this down to my very atoms. 

How could we be in such a state of vicious and vacuous criminality and disarray, people sick and dying, going hungry, hurting, and yet Trump still has a chance of stealing the whole damn thing? No one will ever convince me, if he wins, that the election wasn't stolen. Then again, the theft of it has been so obvious and ongoing, so blatant and systematic, I doubt anyone will try to convince me otherwise. 

Turns out, the key ingredients for the most crass kind of power-grabbing corruption are a complete lack of anything resembling empathy and shame. If you have no empathy and can't be shamed, death can litter your wake and all you do is shrug and lie and step over the bodies, like the president and his henchmen. 

Three more days. 

Let's find the sunlight.

12 comments:

  1. I am the same in terms of election reactions -- regardless of the outcome, I envision myself collapsing to the floor in tears and not moving for a long, long while.

    It's going to be a long set of days.

    Congrats on the wonderful book feedback. That must feel great after all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I hope and pray that we get the desired outcome but I'm trying to resign myself to the fact that no matter WHAT happens, life will continue. In all likelihood we will not die. We will continue waging whatever battles must be waged. Hopefully we'll be toasting with champagne in a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given entirely too much energy to the orange wad- I am done. You will find me under the bed until the voting has been sorted.
    And Yes, Congratulations, You are brilliant, you realize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man is a sociopath, no empathy at all and unable to understand how anyone else feels. He believes what he tells people. He is a despicable human being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand it. The waiting is so hard. Even if Biden wins, there will still be attempts to get it to the Supreme Court and over turn it just because. I will never take good governance for granted again, assuming we ever have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Up here in Canada, you will notice a silence, as of people holding their breath. I have just been reading some election analysis articles in 'The Economist', eyes popping. How can it be too close to call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in fear that the outcome will be in the hands of the Supreme Court. I am utterly blown away by what has become our country and the underlying contempt for the rule of law and the utter dishonesty that runs rampant. I lay awake at night trying to remember how to breathe.
    Congratulations on the lovely feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad we will soon know the answer. I have voted for Biden so now I can only hope that many, many, many others did too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paragraph about power-grabbing corruption is startlingly true. I'm so scared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and here in Texas the republicans are trying to get 127,000 drive through votes thrown out making a completely false charge that the judge that allowed it didn't have the power to do so. our own fully republican state supreme court has ruled that those votes are legitimate so they have gone to federal court. the hearing is today.

    I'm so glad your manuscript is being so well received and you are happy about the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot bring myself to watch television, or to be on facebook. I just can't. For Halloween, I bought two old classics. One was The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (which I can guarantee he won't like - at 9 he is not interested in romance) and Topper. Today I will watch Topper and ignore current events. I could hardly sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete