Monday, June 20, 2022

Life's a whirl

My sweet girl is under a lot of pressure right now, her new job ramping up at the same time that she and her love are packing up their apartment of the last two years in Boston to move back to New York City next week. I'm so excited they'll soon be back in town. But somewhere in there they will also have to travel to Atlanta and back for a friend's wedding this weekend, passing through New York and staying with us overnight on Thursday, heading out before daybreak Friday morning. I get exhausted just thinking about what they have ahead of them, but they're young, they'll get through it. She said they're throwing out a mountain of stuff, which I think is an excellent idea as they set themselves up for the next stage of their lives. 

It will be nice to see them for a few hours on Thursday evening, though I will have my third choir rehearsal that night, and three days after that, on Sunday, June 26, we will give a community concert of ten songs, including selections in Latin, Hungarian, Spanish, and Ukranian, as well as good old English—after only three rehearsals! One of the women in the choir is so strong a singer and so fluent a sight reader of musical scores that the conductor moves her around to the different sections, from tenor to alto to soprano depending on which part he thinks needs bolstering in a particular song. 

This woman did me such a mitzvah last week. I had asked her about the progression of the alto part in one of the pieces, a lovely but confusing arrangement of "Shenandoah," and she offered to picked out the part on piano when she got home that evening and send it to me. I thanked her profusely. That night I received a text with the recording as promised, but she also sent recordings of the alto parts, each played in the proper noted rhythm, for every single song we're doing. She has no idea how she saved my life! Or maybe she heard me singing, and she does. Even so, her talent and generosity just slayed me. 

Our social spring and summer continues this weekend with my cousin Andrew and his son Izzy arriving on Friday, and staying through Sunday, leaving a few hours before our concert, which the conductor says he might characterize as "an open rehearsal" depending on how we sound in the run through this week. My son and his best friend who lives in Amsterdam but is here for a few weeks with his girlfriend, are also coming by tomorrow because he wants to see us while he's here. I was touched that he would take time out of his own social whirl to visit with the man and me, even though he used to periodically be a fixture in our home. I love these boys, and love that they have remained close. 

In other news, whispered with some trepidation, there may be another book in the offing, one I might be madly excited about, enough to push me back into the mire and make me forget that book writing is actually a very painful process. But sometimes, depending on the subject, it can be worth it. This person is worth it. If I get the book, of course. To hope for a thing is nerve wracking and hard. I'm trying to be patient and prepared and practice non-attachment to the outcome. Que sera sera.

12 comments:

  1. In addition to the lively family news, it is so good to hear that you are singing and have another book possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The youngin's can do anything and everything and do it all at once. I think that I remember having that sort of lasso on time and energy... A book, Oh dear, I realize that that is what you do and do well but ,
    Whew, so much intensity and hard work.
    Photo of daughter and dog, so sweet, i kissed my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound just as busy as your daughter! Hope you have time to rest and relax but I know you enjoy visits with family and friends! Best of luck with the concert and the book possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do YOU do it? So much going on in your world all of the time! I would not last a week with that much activity going on, even though so much of it is all wonderful. You and your man are the beloved hub of a world of sweetness.
    That WAS indeed a mitzvah done for you. And oh, what it must do for your soul to sing with others!
    Fingers crossed on the book. Kisses sent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're going to see more friends and family this week than we've literally seen in years. So much love and socializing and joyous gatherings. Enjoy every moment. I'm looking forward to hearing how it well and loving it was, and about the possible new book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops, it was also supposed to say "concert and possible new book." Blogger jumped ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Young people have a lot more energy. I remember even in my forties working all day and then going home to paint walls, not something I could now.

    You always worry about books and they always come to you, because you're an excellent writer? Empathetic? A good listener? All of the above:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! Can't wait to hear more about the book! You always have so much going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Write down your desire to get that book on a slip of paper and put it in a special place. Did you finish your current(?) latest(?) project? And I guess your voice isn't as bad as you think since you are still in the choir. That sounds like so much fun. I like to sing but I truly have a very short range.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fear of writing a new book reminds me of how I feel every time someone asks me to Dj at their wedding or party. I'm delighted they want me, but I'm terrified that I'll mess up or the equipment will die on me the night of their special occasion and I'll ruin everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One day at a time. My daughter has an ear for music somewhat like you describe - her choir director used to gnash her teeth because the kid seemed vague and then, by next practice, she would have it cold. She worked on this stuff as we drove anywhere and boy, did she have volume. I have some of her pieces down cold, still. Sigh. But you have to love the kid..

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was indeed a thoughtful thing your choir-mate did to help you. She was probably tickled to be able to help. It is a good feeling to share one's talent with someone else. I hope the choir presentation went well. I am commenting so late. I've gotten so far behind.

    ReplyDelete