Sunday, December 11, 2022

The world keeps on

I awoke on Thursday morning to the news that Brittney Griner had been freed and was on a plane on her way home. I cheered! I had feared she would disappear into a Russian gulag, and we would never know what had become of her. Of course, Republicans rushed to criticize President Biden for exchanging Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer known as the Merchant of Death, to secure the life and liberty of a 6-foot-9, Black, lesbian, WNBA star with locs who had been convicted in a Russian court of possessing vape canisters containing cannabis. 

Given the immediate and sustained "Free Brittney" outcry in the States, Putin finally had a political prisoner he could use to secure the release of Bout, who was serving a 25-year sentence in the U.S. for his crimes. They'd been trying to bring him back to Russian for years. Biden tried to bargain for the simultaneous release of another American prisoner, U.S. Marine Paul Whelan, jailed since 2018 as a spy, but Putin would only grant freedom for Griner, or nothing, and in the end Biden opted for the bird in the hand. 

The Republicans crowed that Brittney Griner's Black gay life was not worth the deal, and that Whelan had been left to languish. Trump crowed loudest of all, despite the fact that when he was in office, he did nothing at all to try to bring Paul Whelan home. As Whelan's own brother tweeted, Trump never once mentioned Paul Whelan's name, so he doesn't understand all his self-righteousness on the matter now. Heaven forbid Biden should ever get credit for positive outcomes, however mixed. I'm glad he chose to bring Brittney Giner home, even as he continues to work for the release of Whelan and another American, Marc Fogel, a former teacher at the American School in Moscow, who was also sentenced for cannabis possession last year. 

*

Time magazine chose Volodymyr Zelenskyy as its Person of the Year. A good choice. Also in the running were the protestors in Iran, who would also have been very deserving. The magazine editors also had Elon Musk on the short list—ugh. I find that just typing his name is as distasteful to me as typing Trump's name. They are two of a kind, the worst.

*

I've been watching the Netflix documentary series Harry & Meghan, and I definitely recommend it. It's not bitter and snarky, it just means to set the story straight from their side of the lens, and the real villains, three episodes in, are not the royal family so much a the British tabloid media and the deeply ingrained attitudes to race born of Britain's past colonial relationship with much of the developing world.


Episode three in particular puts in stark contrast just how that colonial relationship worked to enrich Britain and impoverish the colonized countries, with all their precious natural resources being plundered and shipped to the British Isles. Even when slavery was abolished, the plantation owners were compensated to the tune of many millions of dollars each for the loss of their human "property"—crazily, this was a fact that neither my husband nor I had known. We both looked at each other in shock.


I have great respect for Harry, who talks about unconscious bias at one point, and how we all have it, but that once it is pointed out, brought into awareness, one has a responsibility to do better. Most of all, the documentary is a portrait of a couple simply falling in love, and it's quite beautiful to me to see they way they each glow in the sight of the other. I don't know what the final three episodes will bring, whether Will and Kate and Charles and Camilla will ultimately escape unscathed, but I will be watching this Thursday along with so many others, lovers and haters both. But as Trevor Noah said in his farewell speech on the Daily Show this week, he is grateful even to the haters, because they, too, added to his ratings score. Unsurprisingly, Harry & Meghan is number one in viewership on Netflix right now. I, for one, am pulling hard for their family. I'll leave you with a tweet someone posted that made me laugh. 

 

*

In case you had any doubt, we are most definitely following World Cup football in our house, and what hard-fought quarterfinal games there were this week! I'm rooting for Morocco to win it all, as they're the first African team ever to make it to the semi finals, and they beat powerhouse teams to get there. Next they play France, another team I like a lot, so I'm guaranteed one of my fave teams in the final. I'm rooting hard against Argentina on the other side, and hope Croatia sends them home and advances. While the man and I were home with Covid, World Cup games were all we watched most days, and yes, I certainly developed some opinions.

*

The kids are coming over today to help us decorate out little table top tree and to drink mulled apple cider and decorate cookies and generally get in the holiday spirit. In other news, the hoped for project seems to be coming through. I won't say any more except that, I'm excited and nervous, and once again leaning hard on the idea that in a parallel universe this book is already written, and so I just have to be an open channel. As my mother would say, Courage, dear heart. Just breathe.



12 comments:

  1. Yes! Brittney Griner. Volodymyr Zelenskyy. And Love.

    The photos of Meghan and Harry remind me of photos of John Lennon and Yoko Ono and their loving marriage that met and transcended criticism in England all those years ago.

    Looking forward to the release of your most recently completed book and excited that you will soon have a new project. Sending love always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting with bated breath for you to get that project. I've been wondering, but didn't want to ask for fear of jinxing it. It's disgusting how little actual history was taught in school, I never knew about Haiti, reparations to the enslavers, the extent of Jim Crow, the internment of Americans of Japanese descent in WWII - none of that. The right wingers talking about not leaving a Marine behind conveniently over look the fact that he was a convicted felon, received a bad conduct discharge and was not the war hero they want him to be. I am very happy that Ms Griner is home with her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, was thrilled to see Griner was on her way home. The picture of Biden hugging her wife was priceless. You know- I just think Biden's a good guy. I mean a REALLY good guy. And although the word "politician" has become a dirty thing to call someone, he is an experienced politician who knows how to get things done. I love that.
    As to Meghan and Harry- honey, I watched one episode and I loved it! I know a lot of people think it's probably all biased and slanted but it would be pretty hard to fake the way those two look at each other. I didn't know about the compensation to plantation owners either! Jesus Christ! That's about the craziest thing I've ever heard. And yet, here we are in 2022 and if anyone even mentions some sort of reparations to the descendants of the people who worked on those plantations and who built this country with their own blood and bones, people go insane. Some people.
    Anyway, I am definitely going to watch that whole series.
    Fingers all crossed for your project. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Brittney got home safely. What a fucking nightmare that must have been for her and continues to be for others incarcerated in Russia.

    I may watch the documentary on Meghan and Harry then. I think Harry is a very sweet man who was devastated at a young age by the very public loss of his mother. I hope only the best for those two and their children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trump did worse than nothing to bring Whelan home, he refused the deal, Whelan for bout, that Russia proposed.

    I'm sure you will shine with this next project as you have with all the others.

    I have zero interest in Meghan and Harry or any of the royal family. Or in the World Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittney Griner's release brought such a sigh of relief. I so appreciate Biden for getting this done. I hope he can do all the other things on his list.
    I think we'll see if we can stream the Harry and Meghan documentary. It would be so good to have their perspective and voices.
    Enjoy your time with the kids decorating the holiday tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did leap into the air when I hear that Brittney was headed home, Lord I feared for her life!! I reckon much good will come of this action as well as Harry and Meagan - the Queen dying - why carry on the charade- she was the last of the monarchy . I am grateful for those two youngins getting out of the sticky slime that is British Monarchy, It is so dumb. Meagan is the hero here. ( Trevor Noah , on his final show, gave thanks to black women- and did remind us that if we wanted to know what is going on in this world - ask a black woman)
    The remaining "royals" are not worth paying any attention or $$$ to . Charles is going to make coins unattractive- because of England's racism they Brexitted their way down the tubes. Karma, you say??? Oh yes, playing out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting comments. I am a bit of a royal watcher and did, in fact, admire Queen Elizabeth for her steady service. I am conflicted about what Prince Harry is doing because I feel quite sorry for his brother, William, who is now left without sibling support and who, I think, feels obligated to support his rather sad father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, so many times I've almost commented, but found that someone else expressed my opinion so well that it was unnecessary. First, thank you for this post -- all well said. On Britney Griner, of course. Glad her ordeal is over. Re Harry and Meghan, I too learned much about the racism of Britain's colonialism that I never knew, and if for nothing else, found that worth the price of admission. But also, it detailed the intensity of media attention. We always hear about the press's treatment of Diana; few talk about the incessant pressure age on Harry and William when they were both in their teens, Harry especially young. It was unconscionable how the phone tapping made them question the sincerity of all their friends. Had to have been traumatic, and in the documentary, you could see the long term results of it. Also, Harry's detail of the monarchy's complicated relationship w the press is worth noting: if they lose their popularity with "the media" (read "tabloids"), they're afraid they'll lose their popularity w the people. What a mess ...


    ReplyDelete
  11. Tonight I watched the last three episodes of Harry & Megan, I give them a lot of credit for getting out of a rotten system - both the Tabloid press and the symbiotic relationship with the Royal family. The racism that plagued Megan was beyond the pale and the Royal family did not step up for her at all. Shame on them. As for Ms. Griner, I'm so glad she is home now. She will be working for the release of others unjustly held. --Tara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Whelan's own brother could see through Trump's opportunism.

    The tabloids in England really are a diseased subspecies of journalism. (If they can even be called journalism.) They're one of the reasons I decided not to pursue journalism when I moved here -- although there are also plenty of reputable papers, the whole industry functions differently from the way it does (or did in my day) in the states. I appreciate your reflections on the Megan and Harry docuseries.

    ReplyDelete