Saturday, December 30, 2023

Dominoes

The man and I are both in bed, under two layers of comforters on a cold gray Saturday. It’s late afternoon, or maybe already evening, and we have Covid. I’m a couple of days ahead of him. He’s in the thick of it, while I’m emerging, the chills and the sore throat gone, but now my left knee has given up the ghost, and I’m lying here in my heavy wool socks trying to cajole that knee. My daughter had it first. Then my son spent an hour with me on Tuesday in between getting off from the night shift at the fire house and heading to get his wife from her parents’ home in New Jersey. I had no symptoms yet. But it turns out I was contagious. My girl was upstate with her in laws, after spending the past week with us. She had started feeling sick but wasn’t testing positive yet. A day later she let us know we’d all been exposed. “Took my whole family down,” she said ruefully. “Dang.” We fell like dominoes. First my daughter. Then me. Then my daughter’s partner, then my son, and after valiantly holding out, my husband, who had refused to isolate from me. My son’s wife seems to still be okay. My daughter’s mother in law too. May they both escape this thing. It’s what they call mild. But for two days of that, mild feels like a lie. And then in the stage I’m at now you feel quite normal (knee notwithstanding), and you’re doing stuff, working, interviewing, writing new pages, revising, editing, and then all of a sudden you’re slammed with exhaustion and need to crawl into bed again. So here we are. Covid new year. 



11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've all come down with Covid. Hoping for a quick recovery for you and your beloveds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well- what I have to say about this is- shit and dammit. Viruses just love us. I think they created us in order to have a reliable way to live on forever. I surely hope your dear man feels much better soon and that your knee GETS OVER IT!
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, that's heavy. Hope you will all get better soon, including the knee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry the plague is upon your house. Somewhere I read that the current variant, JN.1, is as contagious as measles, which is saying something. Hope you all recover quickly and fully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to see this news. Sending in all the healing blessings to you all. Be Well. x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I feel for you! I hate being sick, the fever state, the weakness ... may you soon be well, all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping that you will all feel better soon. I had it for the first time in October and it was just like a head cold.....didn't feel ill at all! I was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you and indeed your family are feeling better very soon . Lots of people unwell with Covid in the UK . If I lived nearer I would leave emergency provisions at your door .
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's not great news. living in a small town has its advantages (plus four jabs each). my husband and I have so far avoided covid altogether. hope you all recover well and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! We had it over Christmas, and it was awful. I hope you all recover quickly (or as quickly as one can with covid, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry! Get well quickly. May you and your family all return to health and as much happiness as is collectable these days. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete