Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Gastronomic forays

While people marched in Not My President rallies in the city yesterday, I took a breath, turned in my proposal, and then traveled to the Lower East Side with my daughter so that she could share with me a dish that she says might well be the best thing she ever tasted. The restaurant is Tuome on 5th Street off Avenue B, and the dish is snow crab with noodles in a squash and dashi butter sauce. It was as advertised, the flavors so subtle, yet assured, definitely one of the best dishes I've ever had as well. Everything was divine, the crispy deviled eggs topped with chili and the brussels sprouts with bulgur, blue cheese miso and prosciutto crisps—and I don't even like brussels sprouts. I loved sharing it all with my girl, whose palate is very sophisticated, and who literally swoons over a meal such as we shared last night. We're already planning our next foray, maybe to the Beatrice Inn, which used to be a celebrity hub but is now under new ownership and much more down to earth, inviting mere mortals to enjoy the inventive cuisine. And that's the fun of it: My girl knows the backstories, who recently bought where and revamped the menu, who used to work there, who did the decor or the PR. I love these gastronomic adventures with my daughter, a time out from our lives to catch up, roam, discuss, dream.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That food looks and sounds divine. This time spent with you daughter is precious, soak it in. She is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joy of having grown children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ate and yet my mouth is watering mightily. How wonderful that you and your daughter have this interest in common! And the backstory, all the extra details - those make a meal much more than a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great evening out with your beautiful daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking how I've been reading your blog for so many years and have literally watched that part of your daughter's life grow and grow and grow! It makes me remember my days in New York when I was just becoming a real cook, how I went out to all the restaurants (and spent far too much money!), knew all the gossip and what was hot and what was not, etc. etc. It was so much fun, and it's nice to read about it here. Oh, and those deviled eggs look divine. I want one right this very second!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not so long ago that would be impossibly sophisticated for Avenue B! But of course that neighborhood has changed a lot -- it was changing even when I was there. Anyway, looks like a fabulous dish. I'll try to remember this place when Dave and I finally make it back to New York.

    ReplyDelete