Thursday, August 3, 2023

Work and play


 

My favorite public place to go to and work when I was feeling distracted, lonely, or uninspired at home was the cafe at the Barnes and Noble in my hood. But the bookstore just underwent a major renovation, and they moved the cafe to the second floor, away from the enormous arched windows of the mezzanine that used to imbue the space with a sense of poetry. Now the cafe is just a boring square space with square windows and square tables, and nothing inspiring about it at all. Plus it's out of the way behind the young adult section, accessible only through a maze of bookshelves, where before you could look down over the mezzanine railing and take in the sweep of books and customers browsing on the ground floor. So now I've adopted a new public coworking space, this one at my husband's museum. The great part is, at the end of his workday, he just swings by the newly opened reading room to get me, and I drive home with him. The con is there's no coffee bar always at the ready, and the ebb and flow of people isn't quite as busy or as interestingly eccentric as it was at the cafe. But hey, my man's nearby, and the window is plenty poetic. Imagine me here sometimes, working away, because that's mostly what I do these days as I trundle toward my deadline.

__________

I did see Oppenheimer with my husband, our daughter-in-law, and one of my nieces. We were all mostly riveted, though my three companions found the film about thirty minutes too long. I was less bothered by the length, as the characters were so well drawn and beautifully acted, especially Emily Blunt as Robert Oppenheimer's strong-minded and emotionally complicated wife Kitty. The film definitely glossed over all sorts of salient and devastating details, like the Mexican-American and Indigenous communities that lived downwind from the Trinity bomb test whose families have been riddled with terminal cancers for generations since. Despite such indefensible omissions, as a piece of art and an imperfect representation of history, it was worth seeing, at least for me. 

I also ran off in the middle of the day and saw Barbie with my friend Lisa yesterday, the two of us deciding to see the movie on a whim, because we wanted to understand the whole conversation happening about it. Plus we wanted to support director Greta Gerwig. I enjoyed it but didn't truly love it. I found the character of Ken to be a mess, and the message about the patriarchy and how we deal with it head-scratchingly inconsistent. Still, Margo Robbie was great as Barbie, and after she confesses at one point that she feels inadequate, America Ferrera in the character Gloria delivers a monologue about women's role in society that was definitely a cultural moment. Maybe the movie was worth seeing for that alone, because I feel moved to record her lines here. Don't read any further if you plan to see the movie and don't want spoilers. 

__________

Gloria's monologue in Barbie:

It is literally impossible to be a woman. You are so beautiful, and so smart, and it kills me that you don’t think you’re good enough. Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow we’re always doing it wrong.

You have to be thin, but not too thin. And you can never say you want to be thin. You have to say you want to be healthy, but also you have to be thin. You have to have money, but you can’t ask for money because that’s crass. You have to be a boss, but you can’t be mean. You have to lead, but you can’t squash other people’s ideas. You’re supposed to love being a mother, but don’t talk about your kids all the damn time. You have to be a career woman, but also always be looking out for other people. You have to answer for men’s bad behavior, which is insane, but if you point that out, you’re accused of complaining.

You’re supposed to stay pretty for men, but not so pretty that you tempt them too much or that you threaten other women because you’re supposed to be a part of the sisterhood. But always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful. You have to never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line. It’s too hard! It’s too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you! And it turns out in fact that not only are you doing everything wrong, but also everything is your fault.

I’m just so tired of watching myself and every single other woman tie herself into knots so that people will like us. And if all of that is also true for a doll just representing women, then I don’t even know.



15 comments:

  1. I loved Barbie! Ryan Gosling as Ken, Simo Liu as a Ken, the dancing, the script! Margie Robbie was marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ChicagoGrrrl, yes! Margo Robbie was wonderful, very relatable in a role that could have been anything but. I was just a little confused by the way they chose to overcome the patriarchy, though by relying on patriarchal tropes, but maybe I'm overthinking it. In any case, thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet seen Barbie and for some reason I just can't get myself to go watch it. Your take on it was the first even slightly negative response I've heard. But those lines are excellent. You're right about that.
    And whoa! What an amazing place to write! NYC is truly amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it is a lovely place to write, but I think I'm going to have to find another place as well, where the people are constantly coming and going and the people watching is less static. Like a Starbucks, but not. Barbie was enjoyable, but I had quibbles. If I had a Maggie in my life I'd probably go see it with her. It would probably provoke some interesting conversations.

      Delete
  3. That quote from America'a character hit the nail on the head. It feels like the world hates women sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. America sure is thinner and different. I hardly recognized her. I’m glad I don’t work that hard to be whatever we’re expected to be in order to be “a woman.” Someone forgot to send me the memo.

      Delete
    2. Pixie, yes, that quote was the whole movie for me.

      Anonymous, America Ferrera does look a bit different from her Ugly Betty days (my daughter loved that series) but still fab by my lights. You lucked out not getting that memo. Good for you.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to see Oppenheimer, but it's too much sharing of air with others. Hopefully it will be on television sooner than later. Your new work space is amazing. That is such an beautiful building they built, I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I hear covid is ticking up a bit, but I do think you're safe in theaters if you wear an N95 mask. I have stopped wearing masks altogether, even in the movie theater. Let's hope the ticking up is just a little tiny tick, shall we?

      Delete
  5. I have not seen Oppenheimer or Barbie but will see both eventually. The monologue in Barbie is spot on. By continuously questioning everything women do or think, society has greater control over us. It is all about control and balance of power. (That's my take.) The museum is a very beautiful setting. That said, I'd miss the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I do miss the coffee! More than you can imagine. Also the more active people watching that happened in the cafe in its old spot, not so much its new hidden away spot. Both movies are worth seeing, I think. Going to the movies seems to be making a comeback thanks to these two blockbusters.

      Delete
  6. Gloria's monologue is a sit down and shut up moment. I loved the fluff and silliness and plastic! I loved Ken's idea of patriarchy and how it translated into Barbie land - "just Ken".
    After speaking with son, I am not compelled to see all three hours of Oppenheimer, a story we have known for decades, no surprises, other than Truman being such a capital A-hole.
    So sorry about the cafe moving out of that wonderful space! Change is not always great, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue, B&N spent a whole lot of money on that renovation and I dont see the difference, except in ways that are not improvements at all. Love that you unabashedly loved Barbie. Unabashed love is lovely!

      Delete
  7. I skipped the monologue because I do want to see the movie! I think Greta Gerwig is terrific and I'm not surprised this project has garnered so much attention given her intelligence and talent. It's pretty impressive to take what could have been a silly product tie-in and turn it into a cultural discussion.

    That room at your husband's museum is AMAZING! But yeah, I would need some coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I agree, Greta Gerwig is great, and I love all the kudos she is getting right now. Biggest movie by a woman director ever I believe. Barbie is raking it in. I'll be curious to know how you find the story, especially the Ken/patriarchy plot. And yes, the coffee might be a deal breaker.

      Delete