Sunday, February 22, 2009

At Home in the World





My son, one year ago, played a rousing pick-up game of soccer in a public square in Coimbre, Portugal with some local kids. It was one of the peak moments of his life, he said when he came home. In a few weeks, he's off on another trip with his schoolmates, including some of his soccer and track and field teammates, this time to England and France. I love that his life can include such experiences. When I was my children's ages, my parents took my brother and me to these places. My husband and I haven't managed to do these sorts of world excursions with our kids. Instead we've spent our vacations going home to Jamaica, Antigua and St. Lucia so our son and daughter would be close to their grandparents and cousins and feel connected to their West Indian roots. I think it was the right decision for our family, but I'm also glad our kids have opportunities that can make the rest of the world available to them, too.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen pics of him since he was a tot - he sure looks like Daddy!

    I think travel ANYWHERE outside the US is a key character builder for kids - interacting with other cultures, rather than just seeing them on TV, gives them a unique outlook on life than can only be to their advantage. They are indeed blessed.

    ReplyDelete