Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Fleeting Truth

This is why I write. Yesterday, as soon as I had finished that post about being depressed, it was no longer quite as true. It was as if I had put it in front of me, looked it squarely in the eye, and now it had a life of its own--outside of me.

Before I got married, I made my husband promise he would never read my journals without being invited. The reason was that I only wrote in them when I was depressed, so they gave a desolate picture of my inner life that was only partly the truth, because the moment I wrote in them, what I felt was transformed into something more managable. Which meant my journal entries were a fleeting truth. I did not want to be judged by them. Writing has always been therapy for me, the thing that keeps me relatively sane, even as it aims for the heart of a moving target, my fleeting, everchanging truth.

I'm also happy cause my boy comes home today!

4 comments:

  1. I so know where you are coming from! I have always used journaling to explore my inner self. I feel very private as well, as they only show me from one angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, makes you wonder about all those depressed writers we studied in school, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a journal that is pretty much filled with the same sentiment over and over and over and . . you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lilaphase, i know just what you mean!

    ReplyDelete