Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Bringing in the new year in Jamaica

I'm missing this view. It was where we took breakfast every morning at Chillin, near Ocho Rios. The entire wedding party and assorted relatives stayed in the villas there, we took over the whole place, and it made me fantasize about our extended family living together permanently on such a compound. Everyone had their own house, but interaction was easy and casual as we gathered in one villa for an impromptu karoke night, or met and chatted in passing on the lawn, or swam and played dominoes by the pool, or went from house to house at mealtimes, sampling each other's fare, or engaged in raucous rum and tequila fueled kalooki tournaments in the groomsmen's quarters come evening.

In our four-bedroom villa, there was the man and me, our two grown children, and their loves. My cousin from Trinidad and our niece Dani took the fourth room. A housekeeper prepared delicious meals. The first morning, my cousin, my husband and son went with her to the market to shop for provisions. My son loved it, picking out fresh fruits and vegetables from baskets on blankets at the open air stalls, with the breadfruit seller who told him she didn't have any breadfruit today because "the tree get too tall" and she could no longer climb it.

"I waited 28 years for this authentic Jamaica experience," he said when he got home. "If I lived here, I would be at that market every week."

His fiancée had a tummy bug the first day, but my brother the doctor prescribed her something, and she rallied and made it to the wedding. The day after the nuptials everyone who was staying at Chillin, plus some family members and friends who drove up from Kingston, had a beach day. This was the bride and groom's wish, to just relax and decompress with everyone in the turquoise waters. We drove into Kingston the next day, where we checked into a hotel, as there were too many of us to descend on anyone's home. At first, it felt strange and wrong, to be in the place where I grew up yet staying in a hotel. But it turned out to be a very cool vibe, having various adventures during the day, then coming back together for dinner as a massive group, some sixteen of us, pushing three tables together poolside.

We brought in the new year together in a luxurious presidential suite that my cousin who lives in Trinidad rented, with balconies overlooking the fireworks in the harbor. My cousin travels for work, and often stays at that hotel, so she "knew a guy," who upgraded her to that penthouse suite for the same price she'd have paid for two rooms. It had a kitchen, an elegant dining room, comfortable living room, and two bedrooms. Our niece Dani and a friend of hers from college, who'd flown in from New York on the day after the wedding, stayed in the second room.

We dispersed soon after midnight as the younger folks, plus my brother and my Trini cousin, planned to head out at 6 A.M. for the annual New Years Day breakfast party, while the rest of us were heading to lunch up at Strawberry Hill in the Blue Mountains, one of my favorite places on earth. My son's fiancée still had an iffy tummy, so a daybreak party with blaring music and street food and crowds of revelers drinking alcohol in the hot sun didn't sound like the thing. So she came with us to Strawberry Hill, which she loved.

I didn't read the news at all while I was away. But my man did. "Australia is burning," he told me one morning as I ate ackee and saltfish and coconut-milk soaked bammies. "We're on the brink of war with Iran," he told me the next morning, as I sipped Blue Mountain coffee made with condensed milk the Jamaican way by my son. It seemed as if the tragedy and mayhem were happening in another universe. But now, I'm back in New York. Everything unfolding is all too real. Outside, it just started snowing.







The photos above are lifted from my daughter's Instagram story. They were all having a fine time at the breakfast party. The photos below were taken at Strawberry Hill, where we had a far more peaceful time, eating a sumptuous lunch, wandering the grounds, nourished by spectacular Blue Mountain views.




 


 
 

Happy 2020 my dear friends who read here. May this be the year we start turning everything back around to the good. And may we gently embrace all the insights that come to us as we do.

23 comments:

  1. I am not sure why but this post and its images has brought hot tears to my eyes.
    Maybe it's your words at the end. I don't know. All of it.
    Happy New Year. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Mary, maybe this tropical place reminds you of Mexico, and how unburdened you feel there. I try to remember that as free as I feel in Jamaica, I am always on vacation from my everyday life there. Lately, I wonder why I ever moved away. And then I remember, I was seeking another kind of freedom. We are complicated humans, all of us. Fortunately, we have tears to release what we dont always understand. Love.

      Delete
  2. May you hold all of this in your heart and mind because it's as real as anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you for saying that. It's so true. xo

      Delete
  3. That photo of your kids flipping the bird, they are my people:)

    The island looks so beautiful and makes me long for lush green and blue skies. I'm glad you had so a wonderful time. Reality bites, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, ha! Yes, my kids flipping the bird make them instantly recognizable to their tribe. It doesn't surprise me you're part of it.

      Delete
  4. That is an other-worldly beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, sometimes I am in awe that I come from this beautiful place. I don't think we fully appreciate it when we live there every day. We have to go away and come back to see it new, and be blown away.

      Delete
  5. It is so breathtakingly beautiful there. If I could transport myself by desire alone I would be there in an instant. I love how you describe the time with the extended family. It reminded me of what I have always fantasized about human life long, long ago. Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, i think you would love it there. Let me know if you ever decide to visit; I can make some suggestions. Happy new year!

      Delete
  6. Getting away once in awhile, especially when water and/or mountains are involved, makes the real world seems far, far away. I'm glad you were able to go with your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, it was a magical trip in that way, the entire family together. And for a joyous occasion this time! xo

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous place to be! It must have done your heart and soul good to be there again. I hope you can carry some of that peace and beauty with you to help protect against the bad news from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny, i do feel somewhat restored, and hold close the memory that this place will always be there for me. I have two homes, that truth had grown dim, i'd been gone from one of them too long.

      Delete
  8. "And then I remember, I was seeking another kind of freedom."

    The Jamaican landscape is as beautiful as ever. I loving seeing it through your eyes. It nurtured you and your family of origin, and now you are sharing it with those family members who have never experienced it. My favorite photo is the one of you and your man. Next is the sublime view from the open window.

    May this new year bring the healing that is so sorely needed in our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am, thank you for these kind thoughts for us and for our world. Have you been to Jamaica? it sounds as if you have. xo

      Delete
    2. The first time I saw photos of Jamaica on your blog from your previous trips there, I experienced a feeling of familiarity and love for Jamaica, although I have never even been as far south as Jamaica's latitude. Thank you, dear friend, for making it possible for me visit Jamaica in spirit through your photos.

      Delete
  9. what a beautiful place, what a beautiful family. that has always been a dream of mine, a family compound modeled on the Mexican way...a central courtyard surrounded by individual family houses, a communal kitchen and dining/socializing space though with individual kitchens as well. perhaps my daughter and son-in-law will come closest on their five acres and plans for their house, a separate house for visiting kids and grandkids and another smaller house for the teens and young adults to gather in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, yes! exactly that. How wonderful it would be to live close to family in that way, having both autonomy and connectedness. i love what your daughter and son in law are proposing. i hope you'll let us know how it unfolds.

      Delete
  10. Happy new year to you and your family. You started it in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What an amazing time! Good idea to drop out of the news. Only depresses otherwise.
    But what an utterly gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi from Sydney, trying to establish contact

    ReplyDelete