Friday, January 10, 2020

I'm a hopeless romantic


Can I just admit I'm obsessed? The new season of Outlander comes out on February 16, and I can hardly wait. I've re-watched my favorite episodes from the previous four seasons multiple times, and while I'd be the first to admit that season one was the best of them, and the whole series can be uneven, still, I am completely in love with the lovers at the center of the narrative, so much so that my husband gave me the books on which the Starz series is based for Christmas.

How did I not know about these books, the first of which was published in 1991 (no doubt I was distracted by the birth of my son that year). People complain that some of the books run too long, that the author, Diana Gabaldon, could have used an editor. It the same complaint given to some of the later books in the Harry Potter series, another literary universe I love. I suppose, by the time the later books came along, both series were such runaway successes that the editors didn't want to mess with the authors' formulas. That's a mistake, I think. All writing benefits from the pencil of a sensitive editor. Still, I'm enjoying the forward momentum of Gabaldon's storytelling, and the opportunity to stay engaged with Claire and Jamie's sublime, time-traveling love story till the new season arrives.

Here is a still from the upcoming season. The actors Caitriona Balfe and Sam Hueghan play the lovers. I don't exactly understand why I've become so obsessed. Now I even want to go back to Scottish Highlands (I visited once in my early twenties), where the story originates. I wonder what ancient memory the Outlander canon has dredged up in me. Perhaps it is simply that incandescent love is a primordial yearning, and there is power it witnessing it unconditionally expressed across centuries, even in a fictional universe. Or maybe Jaime and Claire's on-screen chemistry as just too steamy for words. Mayhaps all of the above.

7 comments:

  1. There is a lot to be said for simply enjoying watching beautiful people do what they do so well- be beautiful. Add in the beautiful surroundings, a good story, passion in all of its forms and there you go. Hard not to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on romance and lovey dovey stuff, but I'm really glad you are enjoying it! The world would be a very boring place if we all enjoyed the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Joey on this one, but also glad you're enjoying it. It's good to have a happy place to go when the world gets crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all 8 books one after the other and while I enjoyed them there were times when I would just scan some passages and some of the stuff she does or that happens to her teeters on the edge of believability. yes she is a modern educated woman but still. I haven't seen any of the TV series. and I read that she is writing #9 and that #10 is planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first book is still my favorite. The author writes very good sex scenes, in my humble opinion:)

    There is something about a love that spans centuries that appeals to me, as well as the time travel component. I often wonder how I would manage in another time. Not well I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about Outlander, but I recall other bloggers talking about the books. As you can imagine, I completely agree about the need for an editor. EVERYONE can benefit from an editor. When authors get famous and their books are edited more lightly, they always suffer. Stephen King, for example -- I remember when he released an unedited (or less edited) version of "The Stand," and I realized that I liked the edited one so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are meant to be friends! I am from Outlander country but living in Sydney. Son in NY,daughter in London dating a lovely chap from Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete