Wednesday, January 29, 2020

On stoicism and being kind


I attend a hospital based weight management group on Wednesday nights. I have not done very well on the scale. I'm mainly dancing up and down in the same ten pound range, and my sole goal right now is to get into and stay in the ten pound range below the one I am in. But being in the group is good, in that I haven't regained the fifty pounds I lost the first time around. Better still, I get to spend a couple of hours each week with a very bright and thoughtful roomful of people who are intimately acquainted with the shame of walking through the world as a fat person. My experience has always been that if you get a group of fat people together, you will have some of the kindest and most perceptive humans on earth. Walking through a fat shaming world in a heavy body makes one hyper attuned to the shifting air in a room. It's the imperative of self-protection, to notice how people are responding to you. But it's a prison, too. You're comfortable no where in public, except perhaps in that room full of fat people, who allow you the space to just be, because they know what it feels like to be judged ignorant, slovenly, and a moral failure simply because you came into the world with a particular genetic map. They would never inflict that judgment on anyone else, because they know how it hurts, they know the harsh self-talk it fosters, and they want no part of that.

We have a group chat among members, and this morning a woman whose father has just died, posted a reflection on stoicism on the board. With her permission, I am re-posting it here, because I want to put it where I put things I don't want to lose track of, and I want to think deeply on it for a long time.

From Ryan Holiday in The Daily Stoic:

There’s no question that much of what we talk about in this philosophy is hard. Specifically, it’s hard on the person practicing it. Stoicism asks you to challenge yourself. It doesn’t tolerate sloppy thinking or half measures. It wants you to undergo deprivation, it asks you to look in the mirror and examine your flaws.

But it’s important that we don’t mistake all this with self-flagellation and a lack of self-esteem. The early Stoic Cleanthes once overheard a philosopher speaking unkindly to himself when he thought no one was listening. Cleanthes stopped him and reminded him: “You aren’t talking to a bad man.” One of the most beautiful passages in Seneca’s letters is the one where he talks to Lucilius about how he was learning to be his own friend. He wrote that as a very old man. He was still working, even then, on being kinder to himself. The same man who was so hard on himself—practicing poverty and diving into freezing rivers—wanted to make sure that he was also loving himself like a good friend.

The point of this philosophy we are writing and talking about is not self-punishment, it’s self-improvement. Nobody improves for a teacher that loathes them. No one trusts someone that is out to hurt them.

Forget cutting yourself a break today. Instead, just be kind. Be your own friend. Catalog some of your strengths. Smile at all the progress you’ve made. Tell yourself, “good job.” And then promise that you’re going to keep going and keep working because you know you’re worth it.

Photo of stones by Arrianne Williams



13 comments:

  1. I'm part of a WW group at work & I'm in the same dance with 10 pounds - I dip below, I dip above. Very frustrating. Yesterday's meeting topic was about mindset, and how important it is to treat ourselves kindly. So your post is just hammering that home for me today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to read this today. Thank you for posting this and Thank You to the one who wrote these words.
    We forget how to be kind to ourselves. How to be a friend to ourselves and not to judge ourselves.
    Thank You Paddy... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Because you're worth it, is such an important idea to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. "Nobody improves for a teacher that loathes them."
    How very, very true.
    And I think that a great many of us loathe ourselves in the most secret places of our soul. Just saying that makes me want to shine a light into those places because I know that nothing about feeling that way is helpful to me.
    Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you always for writing from your heart and for sharing that about which you think deeply.

    I've heard it said that we can do together what we could never do alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so lovely and true. I am much kinder to others than I am to myself. Still a work in progress. Apparently it's not a new thing if the Greeks also struggled with being kind to themselves. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautifully and truthfully worded piece of writing. I took a mountain bike clinic when I was in my late 50's and was not nearly as brave as the 20 somethings with me. The instructor took me aside and told me to lighten up on myself and be nicer to me. He added that your brain can hear what you're saying about yourself, and eventually will believe it. That has really stayed with me all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Timely. Last week I was with a friend when I discovered I had left an important bag in a taxi. Berating myself as 'stupid', she gently put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Would you call me stupid if I had done that?" No. Of course not. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a weight problem or if I do it's gaining and maintaining a healthy weight (was 97 to 105 for most my adult life). I do understand the pain of body shaming though for me it was being skinny. got lots of taunts growing up. and it took getting diagnosed with osteoporosis for me to get serious about gaining weight. I hover between 119 - 124 now. if I skip lunch several times in one week, I'll lose weight. people tell me they wish they had my problem, I tell them they really don't. but this isn't what I really meant to comment on. learning to give myself a break, be kind to myself, has also been an issue. learning to recognise thoughtless remarks and selfishness, learning to change my behavior, and then learning to forgive myself for the past, realizing that we are all imperfect beings. I think, hope, I am making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A while ago, I learned this meditation about kindness. I expected something about how to better feel and express kindness towards others. But what I was asked to do was being kind to myself, to imagine myself filled with kindness towards myself like sunlight pouring in my body.

    When I was travelling in New Zealand last year, I realised how obsessive and crushingly judgemental we are about women's weight in Europe and from what I see/read also in North America. It was a joy to see NZ and Pacific Island women enjoying and flaunting their bodies in all shapes and sizes, proudly and stunningly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello, and thank you for a wise and thoughtful post. I have gained 40 pounds in the last year due to various health problems and just not paying attention. My own internal dialogue is quite cruel and doesn't help one bit! I am now taking a Mind/Body Connection class through the local hospital, and this week we talked about this negative self talk and how to be kind to ourselves. I'm re-wiring my brain to be kind and not stress about things that are not helpful. It's doable, with practice and patience, and of course kindness. And you're right, it feels fantastic to be in a room with people who understand and don't judge. They are very kind and possess endless empathy. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be your own friend. I needed this today.
    xo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete