Sunday, April 26, 2020

Fine. Usual.


For a some lucky people, the new corona virus has offered us a time out, a chance to reflect on what truly matters, and a gentle window of unstructured time with people we love. I am one of the fortunate ones, for sure. I am in a house with very congenial company, three people who don't bother each other very much, and whose paychecks are so far continuing. We disperse to different rooms of the house—we have a house that allows that—and we gather together at different points in the day, at lunch time, over dinner, occasionally to watch the news or a movie on TV.

We have all we need, as well as much that we want, an embarrassment of blessings compared to many. So what if my decade-old couches are more battered than ever from continuous use, with actual tears in the fabric now, and the cheap plywood frame giving way beneath. It is a trifle. My family remains healthy, including my son whom we have not seen in six weeks because he is on the front lines of the pandemic, and refuses to put us at risk. I sent him the usual text last night. "How are you doing, son?" He sent me back the usual reply. "Fine. Usual."

Also, my niece is in her room playing her cello again. She just finished a lively rendition of Hozier's "Take Me to Church" and has now launched into silk-smooth chords of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." If cello music wafting through my house doesn't describe a gentle quarantine, I'm not sure what does.

The story is a whole lot different for a swath of other folk, including some we don't often think about when we're giving out credit to nurses, doctors, first responders, food workers, teachers, bus drivers, and cleaning crews. We forget the gig workers in crowded warehouses fulfilling orders that aren't truly essential for people in gentle quarantine with the means to indulge their whims. Meanwhile, the titans of industry have made literally hundreds of billions since the pandemic began, while Trump's red-state henchmen in Congress bicker about giving stimulus checks that wont even cover a month of expenses to people who are risking their lives for our comfort. 

And let's not forget the president of these disunited states advising people to drink disinfectant to clean their lungs on national TV, we all heard him do it, like a child so absolutely taken with his brilliant idea, convinced he's solved the whole thing when medical experts couldn't, what a fucking idiot. And now they're trotting out stories to smear Joe Biden, and putting me in the unenviable position of saying I don't know if he did that thing or not, but I'm voting for him anyway, because I'd vote for a cabbage instead of the malevolent idiot currently in the White House, who just might be the worst and most howlingly empty human on earth. He's most definitely in contention.

I will turn my manuscript in to my subject and her agent in one week. And then I plan to binge watch something good or at least absorbing while they read and figure out their changes. My daughter suggested Little Fires Everywhere and Schitt's Creek. My son suggested The Outsider, based on a novel by Steven King. I also have the new seasons of Killing Eve, Homeland and Ozark to watch, although I already tried Ozark and turned it off. The violence was too unsettling for me in these strange times. I don't mind violence, usually, but this felt somehow gratuitous. In any case, I'd love to get drawn in by something new. Recommendations, anyone?
 




26 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're all well and safe. We are fortunate, myself included. I still have to work but in a low risk area. The weather is nice enough to be out working in our backyard now. My grandson flourishes in spite of his parents.

    Now shows, Catastrophe, Fleabag (both have a lot of sex and swearing which I'm fine with) both very well written. We watched The Good Fight and now we're watching The Good Wife, both excellent shows.

    As for tRump, he's at that age and level of craziness that if he were part of a regular family they would have taken away his car keys by now. Full on bat shit crazy.

    Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, I watched both Catastrophe and Fleabag, loved them both, especially the first season of Catastrophe and the second season of Fleabag--loved Hot Priest! As it happens I also watched all of the Good Wife and all but the current season of the Good Fight, loved them, too! Great recommendations all. Glad to hear the good news about your grandson. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I was watching all the usual things, and got tired of the formulaic crime plots...so I took a friend up on her recommendation of Anne with an E. It was a breath of fresh air. Comes off at first a bit like a Hallmark movie, but actually has deep themes of love, belonging, independence and triumph.

    I, like you, have it pretty cush right now. And I'm deeply troubled by all of those who are out of work, or homeless, or in bad domestic situations. If I ever get my stimulus check, I've decided to give in to organizations in my home town who support the homeless and those who need food.

    I send out good wishes to your son, who is doing such a service in a dangerous time. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, the people in bad domestic situations--I cant even imagine how awful this must be. Good on you donating your check to assist those who are food insecure. And thanks for the good wishes for my son. I will try Anne with An E. It looks interesting!

      Delete
  3. I've been strangely averse to television the last month, although I've gamely watched "Better Things" which I think hilarious and even brilliant. I'm going to try "Golden Exits," too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I, too, have been strangely distracted and unable to concentrate on either TV or sustained reading. I feel haunted, and am craving the oblivion offered by either or both. Thank you for the suggestions!

      Delete
  4. I’ll second the Schitt’s creek recommendation! It may seem superficial at first, but at its heart is family and love. I cried several times during the last season. I wish we had cello music in our home, how delightful! May your family, and especially your brave son stay well.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I started Schitt's Creek before, but the mayor guy really gets on my nerves. My daughter says he gets a lot more scarce as time goes on, and so I will keep going. Be well, xo

      Delete
  5. I wish I had TV shows to recommend. Lately everything drives us crazy. It's too formulaic, or too juvenile, or too violent. We start watching something and the next thing I know I've grabbed my computer and I'm playing solitaire. Our lives are good, utterly transformed and yet somehow the same. I'm glad you are in your comfort space with loved ones and cello music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin, our minds are going a mile a minute aren't they? so hard to settle them down. it's raining here today, and somehow that helps a bit. hugs.

      Delete
  6. I could not watch Ozark either. I just kept yelling at the TV, "CALL THE FEDS YOU STUPID PEOPLE! CALL THE FEDS!"
    Plus, I don't like any of the characters. So. Bah.
    I agree with Barbara entirely about Schitt's Creek.
    I'm feeling damn guilty at how much I'm loving this new lifestyle. To be honest, it's not that different from my old lifestyle but without the added stress of thinking I should make a dermatologist appointment or an appointment with the optometrist. Of course I miss my babies so bad I can't even think about it but I just try not to think about it. And best of all I'm finding that sharing all of this with my husband is quite lovely. We are good quarantine partners. Who knew?
    Anyway, I love you, woman. And may you and yours stay safe and well. You are amazing for getting your work done even under these circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, i sometimes feel a little guilty at my good fortune too, and then I superstitiously think that I'm telling the universe to make things harder, which I dont mean to do AT ALL. I am grateful for my good lucky life. And a compatible mate is a gift indeed. Love.

      Delete
  7. Fine. Usual. Here, too. But also with loved ones on the front lines. I feel lucky to be "stuck" in my beautiful place. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, glad to hear all is well. The loved ones on the front lines is a worry that never goes away. Sending all good thought to surround you and yours.

      Delete
  8. yes, some of us are very lucky indeed. and how wonderful to have a musician in the house.

    I'd tell you what I think of Trump and McConnell but I'm sure you already know but the two of them are in a dead heat for most despicable. these last few days I'm down to one simple statement. there are two kinds of people in the world...those that only care about themselves and those who care about others. and the republicans, the 'reds' display every day that they are solidly in the first group while the democrats, the 'blues' are solidly in the second group. the blues subsidize the reds and the reds scream obscenities at the blues. what a fucked up country this has become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, some days, i cannot truly wrap my mind around the reality of those viciously hollow men in government. mcconnell and miller, too, upset me to such a degree i try not to let them into my thoughts. the orange idiot is ubiquitous enough.

      Delete
  9. I feel fortunate to have most of my family with me during this time. I worry about all the people who are alone living in one bedroom flats, with no money, and with clear information about when this lockdown will end. The Prime Minister has been ill with the virus leaving the UK being run by other people who haven't got a clue what they are doing. Still at least we don't have Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joe, at least you dont have trump. that is indeed something to celebrate. stay well.

      Delete
  10. When you wrote about the sirens today it was startling because it’s so quiet here except for one of the neighborhood girls who goes zipping back and forth on a little scooter until it runs out of gas. I feel lucky to be able to use instacart to buy groceries to be able to afford it. It’s expensive. I fast forward through the mayor Chris Elliott parts. I can’t stand him or his kind of humor. However. I’m watching the series again. For the sixth time. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rebecca, everyone whose heart i respect really loves this series, so i am definitely going to give it a go. the sirens. yes. they break your heart. love.

      Delete
  11. Yes, the tweet about the sirens made me cry. It just sounds like hell on earth. Your home looks so serene and wonderful, especially with a cello player in the background. I may have to find a cello youtube channel. We watched a movie "August Rush" the other night, it's a totally predictable happy ending, but the music in the movie was really good. I deleted it, and then undeleted it so I could hear it again. Keri Russel was a cello player in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, i absolutely love that movie August Rush! Some might say it's corny, but not me. I love it every time. In fact, I might find it on my kindle and watch it again tonight. Thank you! xo

      Delete
  12. "Unorthodox" is very good if you haven't watched it yet, but it's only about four episodes. We loved "Schitt's Creek" but give it time to hook you -- at least the whole first season.

    Our quarantine is similar to yours -- still getting paid, still getting along. We are so fortunate, aren't we? I'm glad to hear your son is still well. He crosses my mind quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, we are lucky indeed. I will try Unorthodox. You arent the first to recommend it to me. And Schitts Creek, I gathered as much that I needed to get through the first season. It's like Fleabag, I spent most of the first season wondering what all the hype was about, but obviously interested enough to keep watching, and then boom, season 2, and I was a goner.

      Delete

  13. Congrats for finishing the book!

    We just finished one season of the Canadian series Cardinal and liked it a lot.

    A few days ago we received managed a short facetime session with a friend working with UNHCR in Kenya and she was quietly despairing about our comfortable quarantine complaints while working in areas where people cannot even afford to stay home because home is too small for the family, has no running water or electricity etc. etc. etc.
    We felt pretty humbled for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are lucky too. All well. Children all well. I don't have anything to suggest watching though. I haven't watched anything in a very long time. May our good luck continue.

    ReplyDelete