Wednesday, April 8, 2020

We are well, I hope

Thank you, friends, for you concern for my girl. She woke up still with a headache this morning, but as the day wore on she felt better. "You need to relax, woman," she texted me after my umpteenth call. "People get headaches." She worked today regardless, and her team at the nonprofit has now raised $16-million for people in the city who are food insecure, a number that grows exponentially day by day, as more and more companies let people go. My son's fiancee has been laid off, and the two of them have put a pin in their wedding plans. "Maybe we'll go to City Hall one day and have a party after," he said. He wasn't entirely joking. Meanwhile, two of his friends whose weddings are this year have postponed their ceremonies. My son and his love got refunds on their plane tickets, then rebooked for the later dates at a third of the previous cost.

I actually got myself all the way dressed this afternoon, as I have two Zoom meetings back to back tonight, one at 6 pm, the other at 7:30 pm, neither of them with people who are my family or close friends, so they wouldn't understand the wild woman look my husband and niece have been treated to these past few days. The first meeting is with my wellness group, which our corona quarantine has shot to hell, and the other is the Tenant Selection Committee for my complex, for which I am a board member. I'm curious to see how we will interview prospective tenants over Zoom tonight, but I thought I should at least try to look a bit respectable doing it.

There is so much bad news everyday in this city right now, and life feels so incredibly fragile. But my son is okay. And more than a hundred firefighters and medics who came down with covid and were out sick have now recovered and came back to work this week, so that's heartening. My son continues to work shift after shift, night and day. It's hard to not see him, and my daughter too, and their loves, who we also now love, but this, too will pass.

I don't have much to say, I'm a little shut down to tell the truth. Just know, the horrific numbers of covid deaths coming out of my city are vastly under reported, as only those who die in the hospitals are being counted, and almost as many are dying at home, for an estimated total of 450 deaths in New York City daily. And as I told a friend in another state this morning, no regular person can get a test to learn his or her covid status. Only those in a scary enough condition to have to go to the hospital are being tested now. The rest of us just watch for symptoms.

As for the pictures, you know, I still see my grown children this way. I still want to wrap them up safely away from the world so nothing can harm them. Please hold a good thought for us, and I will for you, too.


13 comments:

  1. I am so glad she's better and writing you sassy texts. What a woman she is!
    As to seeing our children the way they were all those years ago- oh yes. And how we want to hold them close, to encircle them with love and safety! It's overwhelming. It's unnatural to live this way.
    And yet.
    Keep living this way because in doing so you will keep living. All of us. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your daughter is okay and thankful she's doing so much to help others. But OMG, so many people dying at home too? I didn't realize. Stay healthy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to hear you daughter and son are still safe. I wonder, how is it people are dying at home? I know people are told to endure and recover at home but are the hospitals not accepting people is serious distress?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lack of a fever gives me hope for her, and you. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the photos of your daughter and son, what came to my mind just now is that life is fragile and love is strong. So much uncertainty and so much Love. Thank you for writing when writing is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking at a screen and I'm alone for Passover this year. All virtual. I've decided to light a candle for the dead, dying and sick. I'm not going out but worry with anything that comes in my door now. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news, you must feel so much better. Your children are courageous people.
    I also look at my daughter and see the child. Even more now that she is a mother herself, or rather, when I see her with her child my first look gos to her, checking her out for what I can't put into words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so relieved to read that your daughter is starting to feel better. These are such difficult times. I am so looking forward to the end of this pandemic. I am dreaming of a day when there is a vaccine and we can stop worrying. I want us all to not have to worry anymore. Imagine that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and your family. Stay safe. Stay strong (even when you just want to scream).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew! I'm glad your daughter is feeling better. I think all parents still see their children that way -- as kids needing protection. It's natural.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in England every one salutes the NHS at eight o clock on a Thursday evening . In every street we all go to our door , front garden or an open upper window and we all clap and cheer and whoop for a prescribed time . I am typing this badly as my arms ache from whacking the bottom of a saucepan with a ladle for my contribution .
    Whack your saucepan my dear - it's the sound of hope (even if I did nearly deafen the saxophonist !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad they are feeling better! I completely understand how nerve-wracking that must be -- we are dealing with some of that here, too. Very sorry to hear about your son's fiancée's job and the impact on the wedding plan. This whole thing is just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This entire situation is like a science fiction movie. Truly horrific. I am glad your daughter is feeling better and you can rest easy. Your son is a true hero in the line of battle. I pray he continues to be well. I new NYC experienced high numbers of virus but the reality is even higher. Our entire system is over taxed. Nobody was prepared for the virus, the impacts and the outcomes. It really is frightening in many ways. We must stay strong. God willing. Susan

    ReplyDelete