Monday, August 23, 2021

Blessings all around

The man and I have been married thirty-five years today, and what a great gift it is to know that if I had it to do all over again, with full knowledge of all that comes after, I would take his hand again in a heartbeat. That's us in what passes as our official wedding photo, taken on the evening we said our I do's. 


I'm out of practice writing here. I've been busy enjoying August with our daughter, who left to drive back to Boston with her love this morning. He arrived last week to join her here, as they had that wedding to attend on Friday, for which my girl was a bridesmaid.

On the afternoon of the wedding, my girl sent me snaps of the bride and her squad getting their hair and makeup professionally done. The young women each gained a thick sweep of eyelashes that my daughter said made her eyes feel sleepy all night.

The man and I marveled at how different things were when we got married, when I did my own hair and makeup, and trusted every curl and brush of color to behave all night. In truth, I felt as right with myself on that day as I've ever felt, as I had not a doubt in the world that this man was The One. 

Everyone looked absolutely beautiful at Friday's wedding, even the men. The bride and groom met fresh out of law school, when they took the bar exam on the same date at the same test center. Two years later, the groom appeared enraptured as he watched his bride walk down the aisle, as if he still couldn't quite believe his good fortune. We had been sent a link so we could watch the ceremony online, and his clear joy in marrying that gorgeous and powerful woman who is such a good friend to my girl, touched my heart. Here are a couple of snaps of our daughter and her love that I swiped from her Instagram story. They both went to college with the bride.



Then on Saturday, despite significant post-bridal party exhaustion, our girl and her guy made my husband and me a delicious dinner to celebrate our anniversary early. The plan was for them to drive back to Boston on Sunday. We had a lovely time Saturday night, joined by our son's fiancee, who had braved the rain to come over and celebrate with us. Our son had to work, what with Hurricane Henri barreling toward the East Coast. Dire weather forecasts convinced our daughter and her love to put off driving north until Monday, yet when Sunday dawned, the hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm, and all we could see out our window was a gray day of intermittent rain, and not even much wind. 

My daughter and her love are now on the road back home, and the man and I are cozy inside the house, basking in this rainy day light, remembering how on our wedding day, it also rained, and the aunties assured us it only meant we were being showered with blessings. Those aunties had it exactly right. 


Next up are my son and his love, who have set a date, booked a venue, and asked us to make a guest list. And then who knows with the other two? One of my daughter's best friends in the world, the oldest member of The Six, got engaged this weekend. We're all so thrilled for her. The other five members of their little soul cluster appear to be in no rush. Still, we've arrived at that stage of life when there seem to be lots of celebrations already in the hopper. May they all be as blessed as the man and I feel, today and always.


12 comments:

  1. You said it exactly right in your first sentence. Me too, with my man with whom I'll be celebrating 37 years in October. We are the lucky ones.
    Your children and their loves are so beautiful. Your wishes for them are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful couples all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you two lovebirds. Thank you for posting these joyous photos of love. What a wonderful week you had leading up to this anniversary. So happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos. What a beautiful looking family you are! Re the first photo......are you quite small or standing in a hole, or is your husband very tall, or standing on a box?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful sentiments for your young people. Many congratulations on 35 years together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Wishing you many, many more years of happy adventures and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was such a lovely post. I did not realize how tall your husband is! such beautiful and joyful people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know how inspired I am by the lasting marriage you and your beloved man made and now your son and daughter finding true love. Love is the what. That's for sure. Sending much love to you and your beloved on the day after your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you and your husband many more happy years together, my friend. What a lovely post of memories and memories-in-waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is gorgeous and so are you. Wishing you many more happy years with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated anniversary wishes go to you and the man and thanks for sharing these happy wedding photos. Coincidentally, we celebrated our 22nd anniversary, the day before yours and I also posted our wedding pics. Lots of happy faces in this post and upcoming celebrations, which was wonderful to read about and see.

    ReplyDelete