Friday, August 27, 2021

Beautiful Serendipity


The art opening fed my soul. The artist, who is in her eighties, was not there, as she suffered a stroke a week ago and is still hospitalized. The good news is, she is recovering well and will return home to her family this week. This assurance came from her son, the youngest of her eight children, who represented his mother wonderfully last night, and told very moving stories of growing up watching her do her art, even as the family struggled financially in the rural South. 

The book agent was there with her daughter, a lovely young woman who is a Barnard graduate, and she and I bonded over our shared alma mater. The agent had apparently told the artist's son about me, and when she introduced me to him by name, he said, "I am so happy to meet you at last!" He acted as if my being attached to the book project was a done deal, and the agent acted that way too, as if all that remains is to work out terms and scheduling. She assured me again that they'd work around my current commitments, and so I am allowing myself to be cautiously excited. 

I have worked with this woman before, first when I was in my early thirties and she hired me as an editor at a publishing house. Later, after we both left that job she tapped me to work on a book she was packaging. It became the first book I ever had published. If this sounds familiar, it's because I posted about it back in May, when after two decades of no contact, she and I met for lunch, and the art book first became a whisper in my ear. 

Last night, I told her daughter that her mother had always been a rock star, at which point her mother shuddered and confessed, "I'm a little embarrassed by some of my behavior back then." I assured her she was fine, at least from where I stood. She was demanding as a boss, but I appreciated her clarity and perfectionism. I always knew just what she wanted, which made producing it easier. I don't have any trepidation about working with her again, though the parameters of the project do seem a little loose right now. I'm not particularly good at living with the unresolved but something tells me I need to just let what's happening here unfold.

The photo is a scene I snapped from the car window on my way home from last night's show. I didn't take any photos at the gallery. I was busy talking with interesting people. We all kept our masks on, though, so I wonder if I'd recognize any of them again. Probably only the artist's son, whose Southern drawl was distinctive, and whose eyes when he talked about his mother's work finally gaining the recognition it has long deserved, were alive with wonder and joy.

Of course, last night's event burned off all my socializing fuel so I'm grateful to have nothing on tap for today. I'll be able to recharge with just my husband, and my son who's coming by later, while keeping a pleasant distance from the world. I've also this morning completed editing a book proposal that took me all month. The proposal is longer and denser than many books, but it's beautifully written and frames a truly important work. The agent who asked me to do the edit said she wanted to leave no doubt that this is "a big book"—in the field of art scholarship of all things. 

It turns out that engaging with this proposal gave me a rich education in an aspect of American art that will serve me well in the next project, assuming it happens. Life can be so serendipitous and good. And now, I finally feel ready to turn back to the collaborative project that's already on my desk. I think I really needed a summer of reading exquisite writers to reclaim my writing self, if that makes any sense. 


13 comments:

  1. Of course that makes sense!
    I so hope that the project truly is yours. Sure sounds like it is. Good for you! What nice synchronicity going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today feeds my soul. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the joy and happiness in this post. So positive and energetic. Yes, it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was indeed a lovely bit of serendipity. I'm trying to imagine what kind of art. Are you allowed to say? I wish and hope the artist has a full recovery so that she can enjoy this time in her life. I'm glad you feel more settled today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read that there are no coincidences, that things unfold, are guided by the universe, to bring the things we need. the power of our thought draws what we need to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good reputation as a writer/editor so good projects should come to you. Glad your hard work has paid off. It is nice to be able to let things unfold and see where these projects take you. Sounds like a less stressful way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounding great. Cannot wait to find out about the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always find it amazing that the universe works like this and yet it does. Two of my favorite nursing jobs came from a phone call when I had no options. I'm looking forward to this book. Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all sounds very promising. I'm so glad you've found a project that excites you involving people you know and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The entire evening sounds like a movie. I do hope you get the art book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently, your creative talents speak well for you and how wonderful to be recognized and appreciated by the artists's son. Being cautiously excited is a good thing now and hope all good things will come to you.

    ReplyDelete