Friday, August 13, 2021

Summer places and things


Is that not an extraordinary image? It was taken by photographer Jervez Lee, dusk on the island of Antigua, where my husband is from. If that’s the beach I think it is, we made some good memories there.

My daughter arrived home tonight, sated from her adventures and ready for a quiet week of recharging her batteries before a new whirl of festivities at the wedding of her friend next weekend. How happy I am to have this sweet girl back under our roof. She’s had a good summer overall, she says, lots of varied activities and time spent with people she loves. On the way home today, she and her friend visited a lavender farm, and brought us lavender infused chocolate and lavender wine. 

My girl and I plan to curl up on couches tomorrow and stream some binge worthy distraction on TV. Shades of her teenage years when every so often I’d let her miss school and we’d go to the movies or else spend the day wrapped in blankets absorbed in some angsty series like Friday Night Lights or a corny rom com. She’s fun to recharge one’s batteries with, that one.   


13 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely way to spend a day with your daughter, curled up on the couch. I somehow missed your last post, too tired I think. I'm glad she's back home safe and sound.

    That beach looks amazing. I'm scaling back my travel plans, for the rest of my life but I do want to make it to the Caribbean. I look around at the world, at the fires, at the heat, at the mess and I don't want to make it worse. Air travel I'm sure makes it worse but even one trip seems too much these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is home. She is safe. She is with you. All is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your daughter is home and that the weekend ahead is full of snuggling pleasures of movies and comfort.
    Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad she is home safe and sound. and snuggling on the couch watching a movie sounds like a good way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be happy to have her home safe and sound. We never stop worrying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your daughter is home safe, and spending some cozy time with her sounds perfect. Lavender chocolate -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lavender farm! Better than chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. knowing how to recharge is a gift! and great gift giving is a skill! Lavender chocolates - yum! Delicious week end for you all around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW What a gorgeous photo of the beach at dusk. I will send good vibes that it is the beach where you and your love made some wonderful memories.

    I would love to recharge my batteries with just one of my kids but I can't so I try to capture the attention of my 6 almost 7 year old granddaughter and my 11 year old grandson and neither of them are wanting to spend time with me at the moment. They are too busy with what is going on in their own little worlds right now and that is as it should be.

    I hope that you enjoy the lavender wine. I have had the lavender infused chocolate before but not the wine. Cheers to you and your sweet girl binge watching something on tv. I know that it doesn't matter what you watch as long as you are together. Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ocean scene with true colors. What a relief to have your daughter back from her adventures, spending quiet time with you. Sweet that she brought gifts from a lavender farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy happy joy joy that your child is home. That is so cool that you two binge watch TV together. That was one gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dusk on the island is spectacular. Nothing like it anywhere else in the world. One of the many splendors of the Caribbean. Mother-daughter time together is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful photo and puts me in mind of times spent on a tropical island in childhood. I hope you and your daughter enjoy your re-charging.

    ReplyDelete