Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Last night's dispatch from the road



They seem happy and well, don't they? They were in Memphis last night, after driving from Oklahoma City, stopping to see sights along the way, including the controversial Land Run monument, one of the world's largest outdoor sculptural installations, site of continued protests over the fact that, as my daughter texted, the monument "represents the land grab that happened here after Native Americans were removed from their ancestral lands through genocide and forced relocation." It is a painful history this country has bequeathed to its children. 

I'm having to relearn that two things can be true at once, and we can hold them both within us without erasing the veracity and importance of either one: We can embrace and enjoy our lives while also acknowledging and working to change the parts of our reality that need to be transformed. Just because America is a hot mess right now—let's be real, has always been a racially antagonistic nightmare of tribal hostilities—doesn't mean we don't get to laugh and embark upon adventures with our friends. Still, I might be praying harder for my child's safety out there in Trump America than her college roommate's parents are praying for hers. Or not. To be a parent is to petition constantly for the well being of our children. In a world where woman are perpetually endangered by the mere fact of their gender, and men of any description can be attacked for having and daring to act on a moral compass, a parent's prayers have no color.

But let's keep the good thought, shall we? May my daughter and her friend continue to have a grand adventure as they travel cross country, even as they are provoked to think deeply about their country's history, and the present moment, and to be the needed change. And yes, may they be protected wherever they lay their heads each night, and when they open their eyes each morning, may they always be able to laugh. Amen. 


25 comments:

  1. Bless your girl! The human dilemma- the sins of our fathers, the limitation of this bag of meat, bones, juice and nerve we travel around in, slippery , nebulous "reality"- specious pier on which to dock. At the moment we are up in the air, nothing solid to rest upon. One foot in front of the other- we do little, joyous things to bide our time. We only have the present moment, as it has been said for as long as humans have existed. Make that moment by moment time here on earth as fun and loving as possible, as your lovely children are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda Sue, seeing your comment here made me think immediately of your son, and how his safety was erased because of his strong moral compass, and so I went back and added parents' prayers for our young men, too, who risk themselves to do the right thing. Thank you for raising such a man

      Delete
    2. That is the loveliest thing I have ever hear in my whole life!
      Thank you! "Protect them" are the words from our hearts though we do not know who or if anyone is listening. It is always a mother's prayer for all children everywhere. I love you!

      Delete
  2. Ken Burns and Lynn Novick did a series on The West quite awhile ago. In exacting detail the series described the genocide, cruelty and xenophobia that the northern europeans inflicted upon the First People. So there was that in our history, as well as the original stain of slavery. For each succeeding wave of immigrants there was cruelty. We've always been a hot mess, we're a hot mess today. The results of the recent census are probably causing the republicans to retreat to their offices to try to figure out how to further suppress the vote. They are wearing on my last nerve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I read something yesterday. It said: "Imagine your history is so terrible that you have to ban the teaching of it." Ironically it is only the teaching of it that will allow us to grow from it, and do better.

      Delete
  3. We are learning from our past and our present and learning from our dear young people who will go farther than we will ever go. It's a steep learning and remembering curve now, for sure. We can do this. As we wish our young people well, I sense that our ancestors wish us well for the rest our journey here. Thank you so much for the reminder that more than one thing can be true at the same time. I remember the joy of being the age of your daughter and her friend and the sorrow that was also part of those years. Life in its fullness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am, it is good to remember how we felt at that age, how fearless we were in seizing life with both hands.

      Delete
  4. I definitely hear your parental worry seeping in here! I'm glad they're having fun, and I'm sure they're being responsible and careful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I hate that I worry. After all, how does it really help? Sigh. I know they'll be fine.

      Delete
  5. I’d like to add my Amen to your post.
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genie, I appreciate your added amen more than you can imagine. A chorus of good wishes following our girls. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I will keep that good thought and your beautiful prayer for their safety. May their adventures be many and their laughter loud and lovely.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thank you for that, my friend. xo backatcha.

      Delete
  7. yes, we still have the right to be happy and laugh as we also have the responsibility to acknowledge our past and the genocide by generations past that occured that is responsible for us being born here and the responsibility to do what we can to mitigate the worst parts of America.

    I hope your girl and her friends have a wonderful time and do so safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, all signs indicate they are doing exactly as you so kindly hope, and may it continue to be so.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful young women! I envy their travels even as I know that your prayers must be flowing like a river.
    If I believed in such things, I would think that this country has to be cursed, having been paved over with the bones of those we have exterminated. Does the land wail with the cries of all of the people who definitely did not die peacefully, who died simply because they were here first or died in the traces of their captors, the fields of someone else's riches?
    Perhaps that is what the oldest trees still whisper about.
    Perhaps it is this way in all of the places humans have lived. I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you know it, flowing like a big rushing river, hoping the supplication lands wherever protection can be offered! I do think practically all the history of humankind is bloody and cruel, in one way or another, and if I am wrong, I hope someone can show me how.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Kristin, amen. I know you know this prayer, as large and glorious as your own brood is!

      Delete
  10. I add my Amen to yours and sincere heartfelt wishes for them to enjoy their journey to the fullest and for them stay safe while doing so. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin, thank you, dear friend, for adding your voice to the chorus. May they sail with laughter and discovery on the chorus of amens. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Are they coming to southern California? I'd love to make them dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, they're heading back east, but if they were heading your way, dinner with you would be such a gift.

      Delete