Sunday, August 8, 2021

Painting the town


My niece who lives in Orlando is in town visiting her sister in Brooklyn, and my nephew from Virginia decided to take the bus north for the weekend to join them in painting the town. These three grew up together in the D.C. area, before my nieces' family moved south to Orlando a few years ago. I didn't assume they would come and visit their aunt and uncle in Harlem, because Brooklyn can feel like the other side of the world when you're on those teeming streets living the hipster life, but they made the trip to see us anyway, and it was wonderful to be able to hug them all. 

They had been to a farmers' market and a thrift store in the morning, then lunch on a Vietnam era warship now docked on the Hudson River, its decks converted to an open air restaurant. In the photo of my nephew, he's showing me some African bead bracelets he bought from a street vendor, and I thought again this gifted musician is so much a seventies soul. When they left us a couple of hours later, they were on their way to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, to be followed that evening by a group hang out at a Brooklyn bar called Cellar Dog, featuring live jazz and pool tables. These adventurous young people make me realize I've forgotten how to wander the city and explore! Hard to believe I was them, once.

Meanwhile my girl is in Miami Beach with the bride squad painting that town, too. Here's a photo she texted me. The bride-to-be is in white, and the others will be her attendants in their champagne colored gowns on her special day. My daughter's PCR covid test was negative by the way, and so was her sweetheart's, so all summer plans are proceeding apace. Every time I or her boyfriend's mother or one of her aunts cautions her to be safe while traveling cross country next week, she says to me under her breath, "Why do you all think I'm an idiot and that I want to die?" I trust therefore that she and her friend will take all precautions and continue to be covid free.


I did hear news of the son of a friend in Florida who was fully vaccinated, who in July came down with a knarly case of covid, chills, fever, body aches, the whole nine. "I am so glad I got the vaccine," he told his mother, "because I can't imagine this being any worse." My cousin in Orlando also told me of some friends of hers, whose kids went to camp for the summer and returned home hale and hearty, only to have their mother and grandmother, both vaccinated, come down with cases of covid that were like a bad flu, and their father and his sister, both unvaccinated, get absolutely slammed with the disease. The father is now recovering but the aunt is still in the hospital in a bad way. The father has become resolved that as soon as he can he will get the vaccine, and everyone is praying for his sister. When the two camp kids were tested, both turned out to be positive for covid though the boy, 6, had only had a mild cold and the girl, 8, hadn't been sick for a day. Yet unknowingly, they spread it to everyone else in the household. 

I fear we are heading back into the void, and that so-called breakthrough infections are being sorely undercounted, as none of the vaccinated people mentioned here who became ill reported their cases to any authority. Imagine the uncounted more breakthrough infections whose hosts experience little more than a case of the sniffles, but who can nevertheless spread the virus. The man and I have already cancelled possible trips to Europe and Jamaica this fall, and we may yet have to cancel the bookings we made for a beach vacation in Belize in December. We had a month or two post vaccinations of feeling as if we were emerging from the era of covid but in fact, we are still in the thick of it, and that brief respite was nothing more than the eye of a still swirling storm. 


I didn't hang that framed puzzle over the couch after all. I have this aversion to making holes in walls, and I couldn't figure out how to safely hang the weight of the picture without using a hammer and nails. So for now it's propped up in our bedroom, next to my desk, and I rather like walking in and seeing it there.



12 comments:

  1. We are expecting a third wave up here in Ontario and Quebec also, probably shortly after unmasked school starts in September, but we now have a high rate of two dose vaccinations and so it may not overburden the hospitals. A worry for us, in our 'wrinkly' years, as my daughter describes us, as a lot of our friends in this age group have somewhat fragile health. You, and I, are lucky to have tough healthy kids, and, in my case, grandkids. One of whom is a laid-back musician type. I chuckled over your nephew.
    I hope our smart, tough families all last through this safely. So far, so good. Our youngest grandkid is off to university residence an in person classes, so I am hoping for a safe journey (I'm FINE, Grandma) for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep referring to that approximately fifteen minutes where we felt safe because of our vaccines as "that golden moment". It's over, baby.
    And here in Florida our governor is trying to kill us. I swear.
    Well, as Steve Reed keeps reminding me- we have to live our lives. But within those words we have to find the ways to do that in which we feel comfortable.
    Your young people are glorious. And you're right about that nephew- he is an old soul. I love him from afar. As I love all of your "babies."
    And you, of course. Always I am loving you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- that's become my mantra! But yes, we must take whatever precautions we feel are necessary.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing photos of your beautiful family. It is sad though to read of all these breakthrough cases. I'm so worried about how this is all going to evolve. I hope everyone stays safe through their summer travels. It's such a difficult time.
    That puzzle looks great propped up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really loving the puzzle, WINNER! Get ready to stay home and do more I reckon. Covid is not going to leave us. Bride Squad, Watch out , here comes a gob of beauty and joy!! Looks so fun. I think I remember "fun". Stay well, tuck in as much as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are right about heading back into the void, just grateful fir the few months of reprieve and getting to hug and hold loved ones. Mary is right, our governor here in Florida is trying to kill us and then heap the blame on immigrants. I was planning a nyc visit this fall, which probably won’t happen. I just hope the end is in sight before I’m too old to travel. Your family is beautiful, inside and out.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to start wearing my mask again at SHARE. one of the volunteers that works in the back with me has still not been vaccinated, or wasn't last week when I asked and chided him about it. not a political statement he says, knows he should, just hasn't. It's not just you, I told him, if you start shedding virus it's the rest of us too. and Delta has made it's way to my county.

    love seeing pictures of your beautiful family. and fingers crossed they stay uninfected while they paint the towns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "kids", young women and young man, look happy and hopeful. Your daughter will understand why you keep saying be careful when she is a mom and probably not before.

    Covid, the saga, continues. In eight days here, everything will go back to normal here. No masks, no quarantines, no contact tracing. It boggles the mind and I'm quite sure that all the little viruses are rubbing their little hands together with glee. Our beloved (read despised) premier is an idiot of epic proportions and he has decreed the pandemic to be over, and so it shall be. Cue the manic laughter.

    I'm the opposite of you when it comes to putting holes in walls. I'm quite happy to. They can always be filled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly it's the younger people who are now spreading covid in the UK, who are more reticent to get jabbed. Glad to say both my daughters didn't hesitate to get vaccinated as soon as the could. Although my 22 year old is waiting for her second one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love seeing the photos of the young people who move in and out of your life and home. So beautiful! I just canceled my trip to see my family on the east coast. I just think it's too risky right now. It's exhausting in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that's a great spot for the framed puzzle! Yes, sadly, it looks like Covid is finding ways to outsmart us -- though I think if we're vaccinated we have to just keep on living. It's great to see your young relatives all looking so happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My relief at being vaccinated is being undermined by the break through cases that are occurring. Would it be asking too much for people to just get the damn shot so we could move on from this? It's hard to understand why more parents don't want to surround their children with vaccinated people, so the kids do get sick.
    Hope the bridal squad has a great time.

    ReplyDelete