Tuesday, April 12, 2022

It's just a kitchen

A kitchen renovation is stressful, y'all, and not for the reasons you might think. The construction noise as they took everything down to the studs was the least of it. Living in our bedroom for three weeks because the living room and hallway are blocked off with sheets of plastic to protect their contents, and the other bedrooms are overrun with boxed up kitchen ware, is less constricting than you would think. Thankfully, my husband is generally very easy to be around. Not being able to cook anything, but having to order in meals instead, is expensive, but how lucky we are to have the option of doing that. The contractor finding all sorts of janky electrical wiring and plumbing workarounds and what-were-they-thinking gas lines behind the walls isn't even the the worst of it, because all of that is now being brought up to code. But let me tell you, the decisions—that's where the storm clouds gather.

So many choices to make, and I realize I don't trust myself to make them. I'm not a designer. I can't envision beforehand how things will look, so I have to just make my best guess about what I like and go on faith that it will turn out to be pleasing once installed, or at least, inoffensive. My husband, bless him, is no help. It's all okay with him, whatever I want. He will tell me if he really doesn't like something, but beyond that, he insists he's fine with whatever I decide on from the remaining universe of possibilities, and it's sort of overwhelming. Countertops, backsplashes, light fixtures, hardware, sinks, faucets, pantry widths, appliances, you name it. I worry that the outcome won't look like the pictures of light airy kitchens I see on Pinterest, because I didn't make the right choices. My friend Lisa said some wise words to me on the phone just now, as I was bemoaning how worn out I am from all the decision making, and how anxious about getting things wrong. She said, "You know what, hon, it's just a kitchen." It was exactly what I needed to hear.

I remembered, as I did before when I was choosing couches to replace the broken and torn ones in our living room, that in my twenties, I was sublimely sure of my tastes, never second guessing myself. Where did that confident woman go? I have lost my own voice, allowed it to become muffled by decades of trying to gauge what it is my loved ones might be wanting, so that now I am no longer in touch with what I might want.

Weirdly, I think I also miss my old kitchen, if only the cabinet doors weren't always in danger of falling on our heads. There was some good energy spent in that kitchen. But now we will have a clean, functional, safe kitchen, and so what if I don't have a clue how to bring color and drama to the creation of it? So what if all I can pull off is neutral and simple? That is okay. As my friend Lisa reminded me, “It's just a kitchen."

Later: Just to put everything in sharp perspective, I’m just now hearing about a violent attack in a Brooklyn subway station this morning. Shooting and undetonated smoke bombs, thirteen people injured, five by apparently random gunfire. The shooter ran up the stairs and disappeared into the streets of Sunset Park. A citywide manhunt is underway. The city is starting to feel again like it did in the 1970s, when crime was rampant. This is not the New York my kids grew up in. Everyone is rocked. 

11 comments:

  1. I saw this morning's article about the shootings and was stunned. Although I really do not know why such incidents cause surprise to anyone these days. Last I read they are not calling it a terrorist attack but who knows?
    Your kitchen is going to be beautiful and you are going to love it! There. Did that help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A neutral kitchen is a good thing. You can always add splashes of color with flowers, countertop applicances or in my kitchen, dishsoap and pink gloves:)

    I thought of you this morning when I heard about the shootings. The US has a gun problem. Twenty thousand deaths last year from gun violence, 5100 of those people were under the age of 18. It's an epidemic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful, and yes it is just a kitchen. That is the best "mantra" I've heard lately.
    That Brooklyn shooting really hit close to home for me. My cousin's son and his family live there. Their teenage daughter took that train just an hour before the event. Their son was in lockdown at school. The insanity of gun violence is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't ask, but I like the bottom backsplash/tile on your inspiration board. It's simple. We've only done one kitchen and there wasn't much to it, painted walls, replaced cabinets but no configuration changes. Do you have IKEA in NYC? I love their showroom kitchens. In the end, it's just a kitchen, but it's also home. It will be beautiful, and you'll love it after it stops being new and different. We just hung curtains and I still do a double take when I go in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be just a kitchen but you'll spend a lot of time in there so of course you want it to be a place you enjoy being in. I know how hard it is to make those choices having had to remodel 2 bathrooms in 3 years. Tile, sinks, faucets, lights, cabinets, paint color. It can be overwhelming. I visited one tile and flooring place so often with my indecision that the woman that had been waiting on me passed me onto another. Trust yourself. You know what you like.

    And that uneducated dumbass idiot Lauren Boebert's comment was that everybody on that train should have had a gun. Because many people shooting wildly in a smoke filled car is better than one person? What the fuck is wrong with these people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your neutral choices for the kitchen. As others have said, you can add whatever colors you choose in art and accessories. It sounds perfect to me and I think you'll love it. Also, having everything up to code will be reassuring. Take out sounds pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for monotone and add colour. I chose new everything for a bathroom and went all to pale grey and cream. then I bought a black and blazing red painting and added red towels and a multi grey, red and cream bathmat. When I get sick of that I can go pink or .... endless changes or none.
    Don't overthink it, hmmm? You have a great eye for colour, as far as I can make out, and that is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you know how lucky you are to have a husband who just agrees with your choice...mine would argue every little detail!! That is why I can't face having my elderly kitchen re-done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how well I understand this! We’ve been lucky enough to have the means to remodel the very dated bathrooms in our 1978 house, but am overwhelmed trying to decide. It’s only a bathroom after all, but two years seems a ridiculous amount of time. I do have the pandemic and subsequent workforce shortages as excuses. I have every confidence your kitchen will be lovely and many more happy times will be had there. Congratulations to your girl! How exciting!!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete