Sunday, April 24, 2022

Chaff and grain

My friend and I sat on a bench across from that red Japanese maple excavating our lives as mothers, partners, workers, women of a certain age holding life’s quiet traumas, the two of us emptying our carousel of cares. 

When the spring chill began to overtake the late afternoon sun, we walked home slowly, both of us feeling lighter from the soft sifting of worries, the rueful laughs, and grateful for friendship, especially the kind women share.

As a teenager in the age of "Desiderata," I and my friends at Queens High School for Girls used to write pithy quotes on the covers of our subject notebooks, most of them trite and transient, but there was one quote that I carried forward through the years. Though I’d first encountered it on a garish day glo poster on someone’s wall, even back then it felt true to the bone. It went like this: 

“A friend is one to whom one may pour out the contents of one’s heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.”

I later looked up the original quote by Dinah Mulock Craig:

“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person—having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.”

The breath of kindness, yes, but the safety, too, is such an important part. With a true friend, one feels safe.

 

9 comments:

  1. We all need friends like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I had lunch and walked around a cemetery on Friday with my oldest and best friend. We talked about everything -- our mothers, our children, how we wanted to live and even how we wanted to die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True friends are invaluable and much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely quote and a beautiful friendship.(I am commenting anonymously because blogger won't let me log in. This a comment by robin Andrea of New Dharma Bums.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the original quote - on a parchment-type poster - on my bedroom wall at home during my teenage years. Sums up so well, doesn't it? Thank you for stirring up memories of the "age of Desiderata" (perfect description) today. I'm glad you had time with your friend. It seems too rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you haver with words, "the carousel of cares" - indeed, going round and round and round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O my goodness. Yes. With a true friend, one feels safe. Such a lovely spring setting with the Japanese maple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quote. I needed that quote today. It is one that I think holds more wisdom than I can even think of. Have a great day. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete