Friday, August 31, 2012

Lifers


These kids have been friends since they rode the school bus together in Pre Kindergarten. His mom likes to say my girl saved them hundreds in scarves and gloves and hats by rescuing them and bringing them to school the next day after her friend left them on the bus. They were part of the group of lifers at their progressive elementary school, ten kids who attended from Pre-K through eighth grade. They all scattered to different high schools, but this was a special class, and most remained close. Like family. Like siblings or cousins, giving space to each other's quirks. Now these two are in the same college town. My girl went to dinner with his family when they brought him up to school; he goes to the same college as my son now. Confused? Never mind. I just wanted to post the photo, which his mom sent me as an email from her phone while they were at dinner. It's the only photo of my girl that I've seen since we left her at her dorm two weeks ago. The subject line said, "Your amazing daughter." I wrote back, "Our amazing children." Nothing like lifelong friends.


17 comments:

  1. I love all these connections that you describe in photos and words. And your daughter is always, always radiant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, these connections sustain. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Yes, there is nothing better than friends. My closest friends I have known for over 35 years and they are a part of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great photo! You're right -- nothing beats lifelong friendship. I'm still friends, at least in the Facebook sense, with kids I went to elementary school with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I do think Facebook facilitates more of these sorts of friendships than were possible in the past.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sentiment and beautiful kids. S. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Jo, I love that you come around. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Even in the relatively short time I've been reading here, Angella, your daughter has grown up. She is a beautiful woman now and the amazing posse she has! She has an entire community. That must be so reassuring to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Moon, isn't that the truth? She does indeed have a supportive posse, but they are mostly far flung now. I hope she is able to also fine a supportive community, people who really have her back, at college. Thank you for the good word, always.

      Delete
  6. so good to catch up with you and yours. I've missed you but had no time or energy for the computer, reading or writing. We walk so many paths together....
    most importantly that of loving mothers, hesitant to trust the Universe in this next part of the journey, not ready to let go anymore than need be, minute by minute, day by day. It is all perfect. Even our melancholy. Much love dear Angella

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's so lovely, and her scattered but supportive community is a truly beautiful thing. With her intelligence and cheerful spirit I'm sure she won't have any trouble making new close friends at college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, and that picture of the boy flying above his father's arms!
    Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think kids that grow up in a community of family and friends will create community where ever they are. That is a beautiful flying water son there.

    ReplyDelete