Thursday, May 21, 2015

Adventure Girl, Grown

My youngest flies to Rome this evening, where she will visit literary and historical sites with other students as inspiration to write poetry, fiction and personal narrative for a month. I'm glad she enjoys writing; my son would stab his eyeballs if he had to do this, even in Rome! For this, the students will earn six college credits—two courses towards their degree for a month of creative writing and culinary exploration. Not a bad deal.

You'd think it would get easier to let her go. Instead, my nature is to obsess on details like reminding her to call the bank to let them know she'll be abroad so they don't put a freeze on her card and adding international texting to her phone while she says with exaggerated patience and a bit of eye rolling, "Mom, I'm actually grown."

We went shopping yesterday afternoon for things like a messenger bag with lots of zippers and hidden pockets (the better to foil pickpockets) and some pretty rad sunglasses. You know, the necessities. My girl also picked up a ten dollar fedora on a whim, calling it her Indiana Jones adventure hat. I'd say she's ready!








16 comments:

  1. We give them wings and then darn them- they use them! It's so hard to be the mama. I know. She'll be fine. You have done your job. And she'll always fly back to the nest. What an amazing experience she's about to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Moon, we love to see them fly, even as we count the days till they'll be back in the nest. xo

      Delete
  2. What a grand adventure and perhaps life changing in the best of ways. They think they're grown but we mothers know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, life changing is to be hoped! I wonder if any of us ever get grown. xo

      Delete
  3. She is ready. It's going to be so fabulous. I know that doesn't make it easier for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany, I keep thinking of you in Paris, and dreaming of me in Paris, writing. I guess my daughter's fantasy is Rome.

      Delete
  4. I love that you prepare her and encourage her and LET her fly. I did not have that and it is so wonderful to see parents do this and for kids to blossom from this. I am so happy for her and know you will be close forever because of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I am glad she is eager to use her wings, and in the meantime, I suppose I will just squeeze my eyes tight and pray.

      Delete
  5. Your girl will have a wonderful time and keep you in the loop. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful adventure your daughter is going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drita, it sounds amazing. I'm the teeniest bit envious, lol.

      Delete
  7. I'd do the same as you - obsess on the minutia to try and suppress the worries. She will be fine, what a grand adventure! You will be fine too, I'm sure of it. Sending you hugs, because I know how hard it is to watch them fly away. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, i know you're preparing to watch your own baby bird fly. it does actually get a little easier with each flight.

      Delete
  8. Definitely ready! What an amazing opportunity. It's hard to NOT be inspired in Rome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, Rome is the city of her dreams, ever since she went there for a summer program as a high schooler. I hope it lives up to the fantasy she has nurtured since that time. She might hop over to London!

      Delete