Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rainy fourth, Mercury retro, my babies

Is Mercury still in retrograde? I ask because my computer is acting crazy. My trackpad is completely out of whack, the little arrow cursor thingy has developed a life of its own, dancing randomly across the screen and opening pages I did not click on. And the machine isn't yet a year old. I'm taking it in to the Apple Store this afternoon to see what they can do. We are so reliant on these flat silver boxes that have become our portal to other worlds. Not to mention the instrument of our livelihoods. If this were anything other than a Mac, I'd say I'd picked up a virus. But Mac's don't get viruses, do they? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Our fourth was spent with two dear friends who joined us in a potluck since our plans to picnic in the park got rained out. Our son was at camp by the lake with his friends, and our daughter worked all day then went out to dinner with a fellow hotelie who is also in Chicago this summer. She posted this photo on Instagram.

And that photo below was my son when he returned home on Saturday. He spent most of the morning sleeping in a very dedicated fashion. It made me happy to see him there, snoozing peacefully in our midst.


10 comments:

  1. Yes! You must take that Mac Magic Box (as May and I call them) back to the Apple Store! I freak the hell out when my computer goes wonky. I'm knocking on wood as I speak.
    Golly but your kids are gorgeous.
    So are you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I am kind of freaking out over the comp. It keeps psyching me out by acting ok for a little while and then going wonky again. I have no idea what is going on! And thanks for the kind word about my babies. I do find them beautiful and no doubt I always will and I hope they enjoy the gifts of youth, most especially the ease of movement of their bodies, which do their bidding effortlessly. But youth is fleeting of course, so my hope is they possess the kind of character that is not dependent on youth or beauty, but is more lasting. As for me, I avoid the mirror these days but this is life, and I am happy for it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a Mac person, too, and I haven't had that happen, but I doubt very much if it's a virus. I'm sure the geniuses at the Apple store can fix it for you easily, I hope you can get it to them soon. Try not to worry too much, computer issues always seem inexplicable and therefore terrifying to those of us who don't understand how they work, but they are almost always easily fixed. Especially Macs!

    Great photos. I love that glamorous eyeliner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, dear friend, it's all fixed! Good as new! And relatively easily, too. Of course, I ended up spending money for an external hard drive to back everything up, just in case. A scare will do that to you. And yes, isn't her eyeliner fun? And that bright red lip. She's experimenting with who she's going to be. Remember those days? Maybe they don't end. xo

      Delete
  3. I am so glad your computer is all fixed. I know what you mean about relying on these fancy silver boxes. I need my computer for real! I love the pictures of your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! The kids are grown people now. I remember so well when they were the age of your two. It's a precious time.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you got the computer "sorted," as they say here in England. I have never heard of a Mac virus, but it's probably only a matter of time, especially given the skyrocketing popularity of Apple products over the past several years. The kids are looking great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, the tech guy at the so called "genius bar" at the Apple store said a virus was highly unlikely and with a simple energy reboot after which he ran a hardware diagnostic and then opened up the machine and found nothing wrong, the young genius pronounced my laptop fit to return home. Indeed it is working like new, very crisp and responsive. How do they know so much, these impossibly young geniuses? I was very grateful.

      Delete
  5. Did you get it fixed at the apple store? Mine is dead as a doornail, and I think it's a virus too. Like you, I didn't think they 'got' them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ, I did get it fixed at the Apple Store. You should take your computer in. If its under warranty they fix it for free and if its not it will likely not cost you more than $280 for them to replace any hardware that needs replacing. Let me know what happens!

      Delete