Thursday, July 24, 2014

Flight plans

I am in a perfect storm of details related to my aunt's estate and the selling of her apartment and staving off bank foreclosure on her reverse mortgage, and what to do with all the perfectly good furniture in there which no one has space for, not her daughter or her granddaughter, and definitely not me in my little three-bedroom apartment that has already absorbed my mother's things. I'd hate to see Aunt Winnie's stuff go into a dumpster. Maybe someone at the church around the corner can use it, and there's an idea, we should check into that, even though those who will need it most won't be able to afford to move it, so we'll need to figure that out, too. It's all logistics and timing now that the will has been probated. We need to get the apartment cleared out so the painters can come in so we can sell it in a timely fashion and pay off the bank and hope there is enough left for her daughter and grandchildren and great grands so we can carry out her wishes.

In the midst of all this I am making flight arrangements for my girl to fly home from Chicago and for the two of us to fly to Antigua. My husband and son left this morning and are already there. I stayed back to travel with my daughter who will have to leave her internship a week early in order to attend her grandfather's funeral. We won't talk about the cost of all this because I am doing my thing where I tell myself the universe is plastic and all of this will work out somehow and we will cover the thousands of dollars in airfare and thousands more in funeral expenses, and (don't laugh) I've pasted a little post it on my desk that says "Money comes to me frequently and easily," and let's all manifest that, shall we?

The most exciting thing in my world is that my girl will soon be home and we will travel to Antigua together and she is the most wonderful traveling companion (so is my son), so there is that to look forward to. Then in two weeks we will travel to Jamaica to see my mom, just the kids and me, and I hope she lasts a while longer because I couldn't stand to lose her right now. Every death brings back all the others, and my father in law's death brings back the loss of my own dad, and Aunt Winnie just a couple months gone, and all the old ones inching out the door, and me hoping and praying they do a little cha cha and take their time. And I'm really a little incoherent and scattered right now, trying to keep all the details straight and the to do lists attended to, so I might not be here as much as usual, or else I might.

But hey. This sweetheart is coming home. That's enough to lift any heart.




10 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. We have had furniture and other personal items that belonged to deceased relatives in storage for years. When the bill gets behind I find myself thinking we should just let them auction it all off. Then my heart sinks for all the things that "strangers" won't know the emotional value of. So somehow we scrap up the money to pay the bill. Hugs for you and wishing you all a safe journey there and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girl will sustain you, like Elizabeth and Sophie. I would never laugh at the mantra thing, I do it myself. I suppose there are people who don't need a money mantra, but I don't know any of them. I'm so sorry for your grief and the scatteredness and strain that comes along with it. Good self care is critical right now. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I will be traveling to Asheville to see my daughter and we will both be blessed, you and me, as we are with those daughters of ours.
    May the universe indeed be abundant and let the money come and also the energy, the strength, and of course the love. You are doing a superhuman job. Please know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy your trip and relax! Money always has a way of showing up when you really need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every death brings back the others. No words could be truer. Of course we feel like a part of the family so please--hug your husband's neck from all of us. And then hug your own. Traveling grace to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I here with my daughter and I love love love that little post it! May you have safe and wonderful travels with your beautiful daughter and may it all go smoothly.
    love, yo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I wish you luck and ease and much joy. What love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed you found any time at all to blog in the middle of all this activity. I am sending you good wishes, as always! I would think some charity would appreciate Aunt Winnie's furniture...or there's always Craigslist if you don't mind the hassle. You will never regret making these trips no matter how much they cost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you grace on your travels and that peace keeps you company along with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about your loss. If I have not said that before please accept my condolences now. So much loss in such a short time is hard. Your girl will light the way. I pray for enough money to live the life I was meant to live. It usually works out at some time during the year. I hope it does for you and yours. Sending you love. Sweet Jo

    ReplyDelete