Monday, September 17, 2018

Chaos

There is so much I want to write about, so much going on in the news (that young black man who got shot in his own home by a cop who came to his door, the creepy, mean as fuck supreme court wannabe, so much more), in my personal life (houseguests, a farewell barbecue for a beloved uncle, pub week for my last project), and I just don't have the time to unpack it all here. I'll leave you with this photo. Imagine this happening at dusk some evenings, behind this screen. A glass of Malbec is actually perfect to silence the yammering of my inner critic and keep me going for another couple of hours, while my husband sits in his wing chair and catches up on the day's news. I'm learning so much on this project. I think it's why I love my work, even when it is hard. A friend of mine who does the same ghostwriting work I do, moved from one apartment to another one across town last week. Despite having a major project and looming deadline, she took the week to unpack everything and set up her new space completely. "I can't have chaos around me," she said, "because writing is chaos. I can only deal with one kind of chaos at a time." Her words reverberated like a gong. Writing is chaos. Oh Lordy, yes. And with all the internal chaos I've got going right now, I sometimes have to shut down really engaging with the chaos of the news, I have to let it wash over me for a spell, without taking too much of it in, because it just. never. ends.


11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and serene space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news IS chaotic these days, isn't it? Mental health requires on-going choices. Good luck as you continue your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photo and chaos do not go together at all, I do understand though. Quiet and a clean surface are important for one with a racing mind!
    Your window is lovely, your space is too, You must produce magnificent works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. about it never ending and letting it wash on by. I've pretty much stopped writing out my outrage on my blog of what's going on in the White House and Congress. I'm still outraged, but I can't give it that much space in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only handle so much chaos too and certainly the news and US politics is causing a lot of chaos. My desk looks out a window too, into the backyard. It's nice to see the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful outside your window. I am happy that you have that. And the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful photo. I agree with you so much about the writing. When good, that chaos is channeled through me and onto the page or the screen. When not so good -- well -- it's just chaos, inchoate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful orchid! Do you have others? I have got 5 in bloom at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful space to work.

    Chaos (in Greek mythology) actually refers to a void, the totally empty space before creation. The ancient deity Chaos was first, then came earth (Gaia), night (Nyx) and love (Eros). It gets a bit more complicated after that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The unending craziness of the world needs to be balanced by quiet time and a glass of wine, as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Insightful words -- writing IS chaos, or making order out of chaos, I guess. The story about the policewoman shooting that guy in his own home is VERY strange. We don't know all the facts there, I'm sure, but I'm glad she's being prosecuted.

    ReplyDelete