Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Celebrations!


My friend Leslie sent me that picture. She said it reminded her of me, because she knows I love orchids. It's a good, celebratory picture to mark this week in which 1) my son graduates with his dream job and 2) my niece, who is like my third child, is getting married!

The big wedding reception will be in December in Jamaica, but my niece and her fiancé are moving to Dallas in June and they just decided everything would be easier if they were married already. So the civil ceremony will take place this Friday at City Hall, with several of their loved ones fondly looking on. The plan is to go out for a meal together afterward, and raise many toasts. I am so happy for them.

I'm also happy for my boy, who called us last night to say he'd received his firehouse assignment. It's in Manhattan on the East Side, and a "really good house," he says. He's been assigned to an engine company at a "double house," meaning there is also a ladder company at that location. I've learned that engine companies get the majority of EMS calls, and they also work the water hoses at fires. Ladder companies are the ones climbing onto roofs and rappelling down the sides of buildings and climbing into windows to rescue people on high floors. My son wanted a ladder company but I secretly preferred him to be assigned to an engine company. He is quite happy regardless, as he also loves EMS work, and is a natural in any health emergency.

Stay tuned. There will definitely be pictures of graduation tomorrow, and my niece's nuptials on Friday.

9 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! So much going on! And such good, wonderful things. That picture is a perfect representation of the celebrations you're about to enjoy.
    Love, love, love to ALL! And especially to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it's a whirlwind week for sure. All lovely things. Love.

      Delete
  2. I love the picture and the flowers! And your son! How lucky those Eastsiders are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, guess what, he caught a fire on his first day! Apparently that is supposed to be lucky. All were safe.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful few days of celebration you have coming. Sounds delightful in every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin, we are in the midst of it, and delightful it is indeed. xo

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to the updates! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much wonderful news, congratulations to the newlyweds and your son!

    ReplyDelete