Thursday, August 24, 2023

He was loved


 

Tributes and remembrances are pouring in from everywhere for our brother. It makes me very sad that he died without really understanding just how well regarded he was, how widely loved. He certainly would not have expected an official statement of condolences from the Prime Minister of Antigua. Only dignitaries receive such commendations, and he did not know that he was one. His morning radio talk show on current events had a devoted following on the island, and in Caribbean communities abroad, and truly, he was born for that format. He was a wonderful conversationalist, excellent writer, loved his family and relished a lively good-natured debate. He was always so interested in the progress of his nieces and nephews, and I am realizing how fondly I held his regard for my children, his brother, me. There was a warmth that covered us from his love for us, and now that place from which it came feels empty and cold. I never thought I would not see him again in this life. I hope I will see him in the next, but not for a while yet. My only comfort is that he is now beyond the reach of the emotional storms that sometimes assailed him. With him, I understand as deeply as I ever have the words, rest in peace.


6 comments:

  1. Rest in peace. Such beautiful words.
    I wish he had known how deeply his life and work had affected others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fine tribute ... and what a fine man. You have surely been blessed with him. It is often those who feel deeply who contribute the most and he seems to have been one such person. You are another. Take time to mourn and know that we are thinking of you with love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly beautiful tribute. I hope you'll read the words out loud to him from your heart to his. He'll know. Yes, may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely and heartfelt all my love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother in law. It must have been such a shock for your husband and you. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruce's warmth and kindness shine in that photo accompanying your loving tribute.

    ReplyDelete