Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Goodnight, dear brother


It's been a cruel summer. Just before midnight last night, my husband's younger brother took his last breath. There are the brothers on swings as youngsters in Antigua so many moons ago. Bruce, now 59, suffered a massive stroke last week Wednesday and was rushed to the hospital. His oldest brother and several cousins took turns sitting at his bedside, but he never regained consciousness. He was here in full one day, and the next he was not. My husband has now lost two siblings within the course of a single year. He is very submerged today, which is how he deals with sorrow. He has to disconnect for a bit to survive it. I know this about him, but it does leave me feeling a bit adrift with my own grief. 

One of the cousins wrote this morning in the Arrindell family chat, in which our brother was always a very lively participant, that "We know Bruce is at peace and deep in conversation with our ancestors." Bruce had a morning radio talk show in Antigua in which he took on social and political issues at home and abroad. I imagine he is indeed continuing the commentary. At least, it is a comfort to me to think so. My children are gutted, my son a bit submerged like his dad, my daughter's tears flowing freely, more like her mom. Families, man. We all revert to our fundamental coping mechanisms. Whatever we might think of them, we are all just trying to find our way through.

Tomorrow my husband and I will have been married for 37 years, and will have been together for 40 years. We have been with each other twice as long now as those first two decades of our lives growing up on different islands. Here is a picture of our two families of origin taken on our wedding day. I'm not sure if I'll be back to post more tomorrow, because this anniversary is a somber one. All but three people in the photo are now gone from us, at least in body, though never in memory. On his side, my husband now stands alone. Bruce, our brother who crossed the veil last night, was our best man, the one who looks so much like my husband. Here is a post I wrote about what may well have been Bruce's defining work in this life. May the tumult of the world now release him, and may he know the lightness of being that often escaped him, that escapes most of us, in this earth school where the lessons can be so hard. Rest now, dear brother. Rise in joy. 


 

15 comments:

  1. Oh how heartbreaking this news is. It really has been cruel summer. I am so sorry for your loss. May his memory be for a blessing.
    Please tell your husband that your blogging friend on the far north coast of California is thinking of him, his family, and all who loved his brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad news, unexpected death is so hard on everybody. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry for the loss of Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wedding party! That you have this gorgeous memory is a blessing. Seems the older we get the more memories are stacked up and the fewer are to be had- you have all been loved in this life, well done. The swiss cheese emptiness left is a sadness - nothing can fill those holes.
    Bruce knew that recovery from stroke would probably not be a good idea- wise Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry for this newest loss. Thank you for including the link to your brother-in-law's work; what a unique position he held there. And yes, we do all mourn in our own way, which can be difficult. Wishing you all strength as you find your way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for the losses you spoke of. I wish you and your family peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending love to your family in this time of grief and loss. Clearly a dear man gone too soon, deeply loved, deeply loving, with his wondrous vision and work toward the restoration of St. John's Cathedral in Antigua.

    Kindest wishes always to you and your man on your 37th wedding anniversary.



    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking of you and sending love and condolences on Bruce's unexpected passing. A young vital man suddenly taken by stroke is heartbreaking. RIP Bruce, you will live on in our hearts and minds forever. Your wedding photo is beautiful and filled with happiness and joy. Wishing you all the best on your 37th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband also lost a cherished younger brother not long ago. I am so sad for you; it is and will be hard. Hold the memories dear and that will help you, I hope. Please know that I think I understand some, at least, of your pain and the disassociation from daily life that comes with it. And that I will think of you and wish you love and time and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that when Bruce had his final thoughts, they centered around sailing away in that church ship. This has been a very hard year for your family. I am so sorry for the loss of another loss of a dear love. I know that your husband must feel that loss deeply. Please tell him that there are many of us out here who send their love to him.
    I hope that you and your man can take a moment, at least, to acknowledge and celebrate the love the love that has knit you and your beautiful families together all of these years. This beautiful love that has brought more beauty and more love to this world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you. And I hear how perceptive you are in knowing that the grief path will be different for all who now say farewell.
    And I wish it could be different, and by implication, better - for me that would mean MORE- more time, more conversation, more laughter …….
    I hope you are able at some point to stand in the warmth of celebrating your married ( and non married years).
    You are in my thoughts
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about the death of your husband's brother. I hope sharing stories and memories of happier times will bring comfort to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry to hear this news. the Grim Reaper certainly has cut a swath through your family this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to read this. It really has been a tough year for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about this newest loss. It has indeed been a cruel summer. And you're right -- everyone has to work through grief differently, on their own timetable.

    ReplyDelete