Saturday, May 25, 2024

The gaze of the world

 

My friend Rebecca The Poet posted that image on Instagram, and I thought dear god that child with her powerful sense of being has something to teach me.

It's the season of spinning over here, of me freaking out about things that in the scheme of things don't matter much, like what I will wear to my daughter's wedding, the mother of the bride who can only wear flat, comfortable shoes, nothing fashionable, and whose shape is such that nothing fits of the garments that appeal to me, and the things that do fit are unbearably dowdy, yet one has no choice but to wear a garment that fits I suppose. Maybe I'll wear something from my closet that is already broken in, that I've worn a million times before, that everyone has already seen me in, but a garment that allows me to forget about myself, to not keep tugging at it, adjusting it, overthinking how I appear to others in it, and besides, I am peripheral to the main event anyway, because at the end of it my daughter and her love will be married.

Sometimes I still actually envy my mother for her slender grace, the way she could don any dress she chose and look perfectly elegant. I can still hear her when I was an ungainly child, tugging at my dress, my socks slipping down into my patent leather shoes at the heel, I can still hear my mother telling me gently, "Darling, once you get dressed just forget about yourself," and I thought back then, easy for you to say, and I think it even now. But she meant well. She ached that I couldn't seem to get comfortable in my skin, I saw her noticing it, agonizing over it. She took me to dressmakers to have my clothes custom made, so we would no longer have to endure the sessions in clothing store fitting rooms, trying on garment after garment only to walk out empty handed once again. I love her for trying, though, and for loving me, even though I struggled to love the rotund little girl who stared back at me from the seamstress's mirror.

But what if, in my own head, I could see myself as physically fluent as that ballerina, as light as air, as unconcerned with the gaze of the world as the child in that picture. Now that would be a trick worth mastering.

Thank you dear friends for your thoughtful and supportive comments on my recent post about my husband's sparse communication around medical issues. I took the post down, because the health information is his to share, not mine, but I will hold your comments close, especially those that clued me in that our marital dynamic around health is more common than I might think, that men often protect their vulnerabilities in this vault-like way, and also, as one kind soul said in response to my not knowing whether to be angry or scared, "Be neither angry nor scared. Just listen."

I asked my daughter the other day, what am I afraid of at the core? Is it that disaster will strike and I won't be prepared—as if one can ever truly prepare for disaster. For now, life is rolling along, and I have the nerve, despite the larger world being on fire, and possible surgery in my husband's future, to be concerned with the gaze of other people.



14 comments:

  1. The clothes problem is one I think you share with a lot of us. Published photos of celebrities and fashions put unreasonably high bars for us to jump. The new Princess of Wales, for example. Incredibly thin and dressed very carefully and expensively for public consumption. I love the new portrait of her where her clothes are the portrait and her face is almost blank. It tells a truth that is needed but infrequently shown.
    I, too, had an incredibly beautiful and perfectly trim mother. And I was neither. I was in agony over what to wear when my daughter married. She made the choice and I lived with it. Yeah. And old, tried and true would be splendid, but I bet you go with new and hitch it. And love the daughter anyway. Mine obsessed over every detail, long-distance Ottawa to Cambridge, England, before email. Many letters winged across the Atlantic. Things like the colour of the tablecloths at the dinner became important. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed that post, absorbed in my own health snowball that just keeps rolling downhill. scary things all at once out of the blue. I can sympathise. I imagine my husband is feeling much like you are.

    I hate shopping for clothes. I am thin (skinny most of my life), short waisted, flat chested, thick waisted, my hips are the biggest part of me. manufactured dresses just don't fit me. can't buy any blouse that has darts because I don't fill the space. wear something you have that you are comfortable in. it doesn't matter how many times people have seen it, they probably won't remember anyway. and besides, everyone will only have eyes for your beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes.
    Do you remember the Chubette clothes? Maybe not available where you were. That is the section I got my clothes from as a child. Could any word be more offensive to a little girl? Chubette, for god's sake.
    My grandmother's friend gave me a jump rope once to encourage me to exercise more in order to lose some weight.
    Yes. Really.
    What happened to that wardrobe shopper guy who helped you out with clothes a time or two? Is he still around? Available?
    Goodness but you and I share almost too much in common from husbands who are somewhat alike to clothing woes. But honestly, is it too much to ask for a garment that is in and of itself beautiful enough to make us feel confident in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it is worth, I think you are beautiful. Let your glorious face shine and forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra is right - you are beautiful and unique and have a sensitive, loving heart. I love what your mother said and how she said it. It's hard to have an elegant mother when one is not elegant as a child. But in all the photos of yourself that you have shared here, you look elegant to me. Maybe a compromise on the clothing would be to wear one piece you already own - the hardest to fit piece - and look for something new to "go with", like a filmy scarf or shawl, or a piece of jewelry that will always remind you of your daughter's special day. And then relax and enjoy the day and smile with happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P. S. I love that photo of you from childhood. Extrapolating from one picture is not a sure thing, but I see a serious, sensitive child with kind eyes and a lot going on in her brain . . . not so different from what we've come to know of you here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not that nice or that patient compared to others who said listen. I'm tired of a husband who won't take care of himself, which is not your problem, your husband is seeing a doctor. That's where my anger came from. My apologies.

    As for dresses or outfits, I have seen many heavy women in gorgeous outfits. I don't think it's the clothes, it's how you see your self. I'm no different. I see my thick waist and I'm immediately put off the outfit.

    Take care woman. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh but I love that photo! Her physicality, her joy in her body. We women really struggle with our self-image if we are outside of the norm. I hope you find the right fit and comfort so you may enjoy your daughter's wedding. I have finally come to peace about my roundness (how did that happen?) and dress for comfort primarily, but also with a thought to style. I'm tired of fighting with myself for decades. I've always thought you are beautiful, and I ache that you struggle. -- Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your childhood photo and like others find you gorgeous and kind as well as smart. Your post struck a chord as I wasn't blessed with a perfect body and had a mother who never failed to remind me of that due to her own issues. It is a process to be as kind to yourself as you may be to others. I appreciate your hello and send you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I also have experienced these doubts. Just so you know I've always thought that you are a stunning, unique looking lady. Love, Shelagh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are beautiful and you have posted a lot of photos of yourself in lovely outfits so wear what you want! You will be beaming with happiness so you will look fabulous in whatever you wear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got to say: Your pictures always show a perfectly groomed well dressed woman. Wearing an outfit you love is key. If you find something new that you like so be it but something you already own is always an option. If you choose to wear a solid color, accessorizing can add the perfect splash of personality and grandeur. When I am in doubt, I go solid color with modest well placed accessories. That's just me..dealing with my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, and yes, we can all learn a lot from that little girl's moxie. Also, I too appreciate it when someone else happens to have the words I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The clothes issue and walking away empty handed is SO familiar ever since becoming a size that's not an easy off the hanger. And now with MS, the effort is not worth it. I ordered 5 pairs of the same pants recently. Developing a uniform. I reminisce about one time in my 30s (30+ years ago) when I was a size 10, well made Liz Claiborne clothing fit great off the rack, and fall colors were the (and my) thing. It was a glorious time. Never happened since. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete