Sunday, July 12, 2015

His heart


My son got a new tat, this one for his grandfather who died a year ago this week. With my son, you have to catch photos however you can. I snapped this one of him lying on the couch dozing in and out and watching the third season of House of Cards. But there's the new tat, in honor of his grandfather, the great and good and loving man for whom he and his dad were named. His grandfather's nickname was Shadow; it's what everyone called him, because of a hat he used to wear as a young man that reminded people of the comic book character. Our kids used call him Grandpa Shadow, and so my son got the word "Shadow" tattooed across his heart, in a font that looks like the line of a heart monitor. He came home and surprised us with it. His dad didn't say a word, just wrapped him in a man hug and kissed his head.


12 comments:

  1. I love it! Didn't your daughter also recently get a tat based on her grandparents? I can't find that entry now but I swear I am not making it up. I hope not, anyway. It's great that they consider themselves so marked by the love of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is gorgeous. Your entire extended family is gorgeous including you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you know this but your son is almost preternaturally beautiful.
    And I love the tattoo. Love it. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a beautiful boy in a lovely photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your kids...are incredible! Lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, and I like Steve's phrase, marked by love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The man hug made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You take amazing pictures for just having a moment to capture.

    The tattoo is amazing. What a beautiful way to remember his grandfather.

    ReplyDelete