Sunday, March 11, 2018

My crew

My son thinks that I will be miserable within a year if I go back into an office. He says that I have created a good life for myself as a self-employed writer and editor and that I should trust it, and myself. My daughter told me over dinner a week ago that she and her brother were talking about me and saying how much they admired the way I had put my independent work life together, and that I impressed "the heck out of" them with the fact that I was actually doing it, making a living as a writer. My son would probably never think to tell me about this conversation but he did sit me down to give me the hard loving truth as he saw it about my flirtation with an office job at a publishing house, and between the two of them, my heart is full to overflowing.


My son and daughter and niece and their respective significant others are coming over today for brunch. The man is in the kitchen cooking up ackee and saltfish, and making deviled eggs, and various other snacks on snacks on snacks, and I will make scrambled eggs and bacon for the ones who don't like ackee and saltfish, and I already made a batch of virtuous coconut macaroons, and my daughter says she'll make the Johnny cakes using my mother's delicious recipe (as published in a famous book of Caribbean cooking), and my man will also make passion fruit bellinis, and could the anticipation of this day be any more fun? I will try to take pictures—although I find these days that I often choose just to be in the moment.


11 comments:

  1. I love it when my children give me advice. It shows their concern and the fact that they know me better than I know myself sometimes.
    What a beautiful Sunday you guys are no doubt having right this second! Unless it's nap time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ms. Moon. It's a wonderful thing, to see those we've only known as children who need our help turn into adults who can help us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son and daughter make very good points. Corporate life is no picnic in the park. The dynamic can be more than difficult. Freelance and being your own boss certainly has advantages. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a gifted writer. Going to work for somoene else? I say no. Unless you are doing it for financial reasons which is the reason 98% of us get up with an alarm and go to work. I say keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember exactly. What is the attraction of the in house gig? Can you find a way to incorporate elements of that in your self-employment? Sounds like something there is calling you. maybe there is another source

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trust your crew and trust yourself. You are not alone and you are extremely skilled, you don't need an office job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The truth is in your heart. Your children can see that. You see it in their hearts. We can see it. There is love in your photos and writing that touches my heart. Thank you.

    You know how to make a living as a writer. That is a treasure. No matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures...you can just feel the love and how relaxed and at ease they are. And Beautiful! Yea, sometimes our kids know best. Who knows you better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful that your children recognize and appreciate the work life you have created for yourself. Your family is on ongoing work of art painted in the strokes of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can be very freeing to be at an event and NOT taking pictures. I usually find myself rather compulsively shutter-bugging but sometimes I force myself to put the camera away! Your kids are right about you and your worklife -- you have done an amazing job of reinventing yourself as an independent writer and editor!

    ReplyDelete