Saturday, May 7, 2022

Thankful for the good

I made coffee in my own kitchen for the first time in a month this morning, and it tastes sweet indeed. And my son, on crutches, made scrambled eggs and bacon for himself and his love both yesterday and the day before. This morning, he made himself oatmeal. It's so funny seeing the habits in our children that endure from childhood. He hated eggs as a boy, and only learned to enjoy them on hangover mornings in college. And so when he was growing up, on school mornings I would make him and his sister oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries and a cut up banana, sprinkled with crushed almonds and dried cranberries and drizzled with a little honey. That was my version of making a healthful breakfast for my children so I could think I was being a good mother. And now he tells me that oatmeal is still his breakfast of champions.

His recovery from the ACL surgery is going so much better than last time. The pain is manageable, and he appears to be in much less distress. He attributes this to his surgeon being more exact and precise in performing the operation, and therefore inflaming the surrounding tissue less. Last time, three days in, his knee was massively swollen and looked, as he put it, like grape jelly from the bruising. This time it is about two thirds less swollen, and the bruising is minimal. 

His dad took him to his first physical therapy appointment yesterday, and at home, he is faithfully doing the assigned exercises, and icing on schedule. The part of him that is fascinated by the body's ability to heal itself is rather enjoying marking his own progress. I cannot tell you how relieved I am by the way this is going so far. I pray it continues like this. Plus, he is great company, our boy. And next week, our daughter is coming to town for a few days to go into her new office for an in person day, and to attend the bachelorette weekend of one of her closest friends since they were four. My son's finacee will be in Mexico attending a wedding in Cabo in which she is a bridesmaid. It will be the  just the four of us in the house again, the way we started out. "I think the four of us balance out each other's energies," I said to my daughter. She guffawed and said, "Keep dreaming, Mom."

 

We're still slowly setting up the new kitchen, and trying to release a lot of excess stuff as we go, but here is a picture showing the under mount lights glowing softly from behind a strip of wood installed along the lower edge to shade the naked filaments from the eye. I think it works perfectly and am so happy that I pushed for it. The contractor came up with the most elegant solution possible, it simply looks as if the cabinets were made that way. He will be back next week to add some white wood filler to the seam where the new strip of wood meets the lower cabinet edge, to block out the thinnest bleed of light through it. I love that he is such a detail person, a soul after my own heart. Also, the backordered cabinet came in and was installed yesterday, as you can see on the upper left. 

Only the tiniest details remain now: one door is going to be replaced because the contractor says it is warped and can't be properly aligned with its partner, and the floor molding next to the new fridge needs to be squared off and painted. And then we are done! Despite all my hang wringing in the early stages, I judge the entire project a great success. Thank you, dear friends here, for holding my hand through this. I promise to stop trying your patience and bending your ear about it now. My mother would say I possess too little faith, and it's true, I do tend toward catastrophic thinking. In this case, happy to say, it was wholly unwarranted. But I still appreciate having been able to process it here.

15 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks fantastic! You had a very good idea for the under counter lights. I'm happy your son is healing well, a relief for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen looks so beautiful, so nice and bright and full of light. Really well done in every way.
    I'm so glad to know your son is healing well there. He has a fan club sending him good wishes all the way from Northern California. Enjoy your time with the family today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading what you wrote, I can look at your photo and picture you and your son settling in to your beautiful new kitchen, making coffee, making breakfast. I'm picturing your daughter and beloved man there, too, now. The soft light is lovely! Wonderful to know that the ACL surgery went well and that your son is in good spirits. Yes. A great success. Thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen is beautiful, great choice of materials and colors. You were right to push for the strip to shade the task lighting, the effect is very attractive. Good news on your son's recovery from surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new kitchen is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have undercounter lighting and it's so helpful, especially in the winter when it's so dark, so early. The kitchen turned out beautiful, as expected and I'm so glad your son is doing well.

    Just so you know..."on school mornings I would make him and his sister oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries and a cut up banana, sprinkled with crushed almonds and dried cranberries and drizzled with a little honey. That was my version of making a healthful breakfast for my children so I could think I was being a good mother.", that is a good, healthy breakfast. Give yourself some credit woman. You and your husband raised two wonderful people, you're good parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with everyone else- the lighting is terrific! Yes! Good call. And you certainly DO have a detail guy there. Wow! That's the kind of worker my husband is. The tiniest thing off center can cause him real pain.
    Speaking of pain- so, so happy to hear that your son's recovery is easier this time. Helps to have a good surgeon, huh? Details aren't just for carpentry and plumbing.
    What sweetness it will be to have your grown baby birds back in the nest together for a few days. And probably some fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the task lighting, you were right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made some excellent choices and so lucky to have a contractor that pays attention to details. It's the details that make the difference between a good job and a great job.

    A couple of years ago on my birthday both kids came out here and the four of us went to dinner and it was so nice to have just our little core family together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen has turned out so well! It is really lovely! Glad your son is healing quickly. Hope he continues to feel better.
    Have a wonderful time with your children! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kitchen looks beautiful! And I do love the under-cabinet lighting. We have similar lighting and it makes a world of difference. (Our kitchen doesn't look nearly as good, though. :) )

    Glad the time with your son is going well and he had less troublesome surgery this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The kitchen is beautiful and you made all the right choices. Knowing your son's healing process is going well and the pain is minimal is exactly what we are all praying for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The kitchen looks lovely. (I have also got a stainless steel pot like yours with my utensils in) Good to hear that your boy is recovering well from his op. I had a half knee replacement about 10 yrs ago and you reminded me of all the icing and exercises. Before the op, ( I had a spinal block, so was awake through it and could hear all the banging and scraping) I was given a jab that was supposed to keep me pain free for 48 hours...it works on 9 out of 10 people the lovely man told me!!! Guess what number I was. The pain, as the block meds wore off was something else. It took a while for anything else to be sorted as it was a private hospital and the surgeon and anaesthetist had gone home! At the time I thought I would prefer to give birth again, at least the pain of that does stop at some point!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen is lovely and there’s going to be wonderful new memories made there. I also tend towards catastrophic thinking too, it’s not easy. I’m so glad your son is having an easier time of it, enjoy having your babies back in the home nest for a sweet while.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete