Thursday, March 13, 2014

Foodies

My daughter majors in hospitality management and so even though she has courses with serious-sounding names like microeconomics or financial accounting or organizational behavior and leadership skills, occasionally her classes look like this.



I have no idea what they are doing with all that butter and flour. This is my girl's favorite class this semester. It's called Food Service Management Theory and Practice, but she calls it Culinary. She says her school specializes in giving fun classes dreadful sounding names.
Here she is with two of her fellow hotelies. She adores these kids. It's so odd to me that there are people in her life who she feels so familial toward and yet I don't know them. The days of seeing all the corners of her life are long gone. This is the natural way of things but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I miss my girl but I'm glad she seems to have made good friends at school. She's a little stressed out this week because she has four prelims, which is what they call midterms. But the pictures say she's definitely managing to mix in some fun!




6 comments:

  1. That looks like pastry dough or even danish dough or quite possibly puff pastry dough! And your daughter just gets more and more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I knew you would know what they're doing!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, what Elizabeth said. I was thinking pastry dough. Does your daughter mind you swiping and posting her Facebook pics?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, your question made me take down this post so I could ask her. I have asked in the past and she's always said, go for it. But you made me think that I should check anew. So I texted her "Do you mind when I swipe your Facebook pix and put them on the blog?" Her response just now: "Obviously not mom, you've been doing it for years." She once told me she likes reading about herself on my blog; she likes seeing herself through my eyes. So I guess the short answer to your question is no, she doesn't mind. And nor do her friends, she assures me. In fact she says they kind of get a kick out of making an appearance!

      Delete
  3. She is so beautiful, but what's even more striking is her confidence and joyful spirit. College is such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vesuvius, i actually believe that the social aspects of those years is as much a life-girding experience as the academics. I'm glad my girl seems to be having fun. I still miss my own college days. How carefree they were in comparison to everything after it. I confess I wanted some measure of that for my kids.

      Delete