Friday, July 14, 2017

Chihuly Nights

Last evening the man and I went to see Chihuly Nights, a glass art installation at the New York Botanical Gardens, with music, cocktails, and food under the stars. It was hard to capture the drama of the illuminated glass forms with my iPhone camera, and my husband decided that we will have to go back so he can photograph the pieces with his Nikon set up. Dale Chihuly is a glass artist who works out of Seattle, with a team of glass blowers. The work is really breathtaking. These pictures don't begin to do justice to the experience of being in their presence. The evening was hot, wet, and muggy, but we enjoyed strolling through the gardens in the dark, feeling the spitting rain, and coming upon these moments of spectacular color. They appeared lit from within, vibrant against a silhouette of trees, plants, people, sky. The shapes seemed entirely organic, enchanted even, as if they grew where they are, yet each individual piece was fashioned by human breath working its magic on hot molten glass. Here are but a few of the installations. If you're interested, this map has clickable dots that open up daylight images and info about these and other Chihuly pieces in the sprawling gardens-wide exhibit.













12 comments:

  1. I have seen these pieces in Seattle in particular the opera house they are breathtaking though I've always had a secret desire to fill those gorgeous bowls with M&Ms. 🍬🍬🍬🍬🍬

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen several Chihuly pieces at a benefit I went to once in Seattle -- they are truly wild and wonderful. I remember a swimming pool, even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and creative stuff, a truly talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they gorgeous, and so very unique! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, Glen and I stayed one time at the Bellagio in Las Vegas where the lobby is filled with his work and it was mind-blowing. I don't remember much about that trip but I sure do remember that lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chihuly. Another amazing thing about him, in addition to his talent, is that he is blind in one eye, and lacks depth perception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love his work. I met him at one of his art exhibits to n LA. He had paint splattered shoes and an eye patch. I wanted his shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid photos. Thank you for sharing your visit. It does my heart good to see Chihuly's art work this morning I've been waiting for a copy of The Sower, by Octavia Butler, to be available at our public library. My turn to read it has come. I'll be able to pick it up on Monday, before work, when I can go the library again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale's work is astonishing - we take it so for granted up here. His workers are masters of the craft! They are difficult to photograph, always more amazing in person, but you did a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too!! I saw many of these in Denver a few years back. I love how they "live" in the gardens. Sounds like a superb evening. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this stuff! Been to that museum up here in Seattle numerous times. I can watch people work glass art all day... *swoon* Glad you enjoyed :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I swear I saw some of these same pieces when I went to see some of Chihuly's works at the botanical gardens years ago. Are they there all the time? I never saw them at night, though. The nighttime lighting really adds to the effect!

    ReplyDelete