Monday, February 25, 2013

My Beautiful Girl


I am remembering that when my youngest was five, she drew me a Mother's Day card and on the front she wrote the words, "Mama you were a hard mom to get before I was born" and inside she wrote "but God let me have you." She had cut out a red paper heart and pasted it inside, sprung on accordion folded construction paper. I keep that card in the drawer next to my bed, right by where I rest my head each night. I looked at that card last evening, smiling over her childish scrawl, the stick figures of a woman and child on the front, the triangle skirts telling gender, hands joined with no beginning and end, me and my beautiful girl.


11 comments:

  1. Something about the confidence and beauty of youth here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even have any words. Simply beautiful and true. She is light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is that love that keeps us going. And she was right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet and pure and all things good -- the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so very pretty. Good genes run in your family I see! S. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty. I'm glad you keep that card close. It's invaluable, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, how did you get such incredible kids?
    I bet you have some bad ones, sitting around, that you never blog about, huh?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That card is a treasure. So is your beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the sweetest thing. You are both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When my oldest daughter was about that same age, I asked her why, out of all of the mommies in the world, she chose me. She looked at me without even hesitating and replied, "Because you were the only one laughing."

    Our girls are amazing women, but they were also very special children. Thank you for sharing that very sweet story with us, dear Angella:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter is gorgeous. I think about this idea, sometimes. That sweet card made me teary.

    ReplyDelete