Monday, June 17, 2013

Working

My niece graduated last week with her masters in biomedical sciences, and will head to dental school in Washington D.C. in the fall. She says her accelerated masters program has taken her studying skills to a whole new level, just in time for dental school. My son graduated a month ago with his bachelors in exercise science and sports psych and this fall will coach high school track and field while getting himself certified as an EMT with the FDNY, although he might do a little bit of traveling first. I'm so proud of my babies, the boy I birthed and the girl who calls me aunt.

I'm proud of my daughter, too, who is learning on so many fronts through her internship as a food writer this summer. If only I could just butt out and stop with the advice. Will she make mistakes? Probably. How else to learn? Last night as I tried to give her a suggestion for an email she had to write, she sighed said exasperatedly, "Mom, will you please stop underestimating me?" It was only that I was judging based on what I knew of journalism at her age, and it is becoming clear to me that she already knows so much more. And so I shall, right this minute, cease and desist, let her do her thing. You all are my witnesses, okay?


13 comments:

  1. Okay, honey. I see you putting your hand on the Bible. I know you know that we only learn from our own mistakes and experiences and yet, as mothers, we want to spare our babies from this essential lesson.
    Sigh.
    Still. Hand on the Bible. I heard you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a witness! You can do it and so can she.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen to her...let her fly! I was at a baby shower last week for my niece....5 other nieces were there and their friends. I looked around the room and realized there were 4 nurses..one lawyer...one paraglegal..two teachers....two college students...all under the age of 30! These girls...along with your daughter.. are our future. Be proud...they are all doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. afcg, she's flying! our future is in good hands. thank you.

      Delete
  4. She's doing wonderfully. Enjoy another well-earned proud mama moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e, they're great kids. I dont know why i should be so lucky but i am. thank you.

      Delete
  5. What great kids. Food writer? How interesting, she's beautiful bright and has her finger on the pulse - does she have her own blog like her mama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABL, she got a summer internship covering the dining scene in New York, food festivals, chef profiles, best of lists, gadget reviews, new eateries, etc. It is so perfect for her. And she used to have a blog, spatula (on my blogroll) but she hasn't updated it for a long while so I'm not sure we can say she still has one.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, good luck with that! LOL!

    You have every reason to be proud of all three of those kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I suspect you understand! If she had an internship doing, say, microeconomics, well, I'd have no impulse at all to offer ANY advice. but she's in my field. why shouldnt she benefit from what i've learned the hard way? the answer to that of course, is that she wont learn it unless she learns it for herself. and she sure is!

      Delete
  7. Sit back and be proud. You've done an incredible job, your chicks can fly! You showed them how. And they will fly. That is so evident. Man I am tired of this bird analogy, but you get it.

    If she will let you, share some links to the writing she will do.

    ReplyDelete