Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Dr. Ellamae Simmons at 97



"I am almost one hundred years old now. With the passage of years I have developed a hard-won peace and a deep sense of gratitude for the great gifts that have been bestowed on me in this life. I now want nothing more than to share the bounty of my experiences as evidence that no matter how bleak the moment we are living through, we can overcome. We will overcome. But we may need the help of another person who believes in our vision as strongly as we do. I have come to appreciate that in medicine and in life, our greatest human need is for the hand that reaches out to touch another; the hand that closes around another’s and pulls that person forward in a supportive embrace." 


*

Stay tuned for the publication of her memoir 
Overcome: My Life in Pursuit of a Dream







12 comments:

  1. Oh I cannot wait! Thank you for this lovely photo. You must be blessed to have met her, and she you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will this be available on my Kindle? Really looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I await the book and know that meeting her was life-enhancing for you both, a rare gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, I expect only the best. Will you be able to let it go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears. Both for what she said (the hand- the hand reaching out!) and for the fact that you have finished this project which is going to bring so much to so many. I know it will. And I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an experience this must have been and how proud you must be. I can't wait for this to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Doctor looks amazingly young for her years ... and I like what she had to say in the quoted section. Sounds like a very wise person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it will be an awesome book. And yes, she doesn't look 97!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful woman and a beautiful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait to read this book! And Dr. Simmons looks fabulous and I'm looking forward to "meeting" her.

    ReplyDelete