Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day


I don't have a lot of words today. That picture is one of my favorites. It was taken two short years ago. The way my mother has loved and guided her grandchildren and their love for her is perhaps the most sublime gift I have been given in a universe of sublime gifts that have been bestowed on me and mine by virtue of the lucky fact of my being born her daughter. I love you, Mom, today and always. Thank you.


Thank you too to my children's other grandmother, who also doted on them, and spoke true to them about life and who has been gone five years now, but who my husband spoke about in church this morning as he led the morning prayers (the ministry really is his path not taken, and he is good at it—sincere and heartfelt and not at all preachy). He said his father taught his children the rough and tumble of life, but all his mother ever really wanted for her children was peace, and for them to be able to listen inward and hear their own call. He made me cry when he said that, because it rang so true. That photo of his mom with my kids at 9 and 6 is another of my favorites. We have been blessed with such good mothers.


6 comments:

  1. You know that your mother is one of my role models, don't you?
    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I hope both you and your mother are having lovely days today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete