Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Stage four


Apparently New York is now entering stage four of its reopening, although I don't honestly know what that means, as I still mostly stay inside. The other day the man and I drove around the city to see what we could see, and we noticed that sidewalks are full of outdoor diners. Since no indoor dining is allowed, restaurants have moved their entire dining rooms onto the pavements, and even into the street, demarcating tables from traffic with makeshift barriers. While I might meet some women friends in the park for a socially distanced get together with masks, I'm not ready yet to sit at a small table opposite anyone I don't live with, talking and eating, maskless (obviously), even if we are outdoors. And yet, the man and I are going to help our daughter and her guy move to Boston in a few weeks, which will require a one or two night stay in a hotel, I'm going to choose a nice one, but still, it feels risky. Any ideas from you travelers out there on how to stay safe on this adventure?

My niece and her husband, who live in Dallas, are spending a week at a resort in Cabo, Mexico. I salivate over the photos of glistening blue pools that they are posting on social media. The resort looks very empty, as if they have the place to themselves, and they are having a marvelous time. "Does it feel safe being there?" I messaged her. "Safer than Texas," she messaged back. "Everyone is masked up, and before you enter any establishment you stand in a tray of sanitizer and they take your temperature and offer you hand sanitizer." She is a dentist, so she is inside people's most fertile covid cavity daily. She wears a mask and face shield and protective glasses and gloves, and takes all other necessary precautions. I suppose they know what they're doing in Cabo. I'm so jealous it's almost incandescent. I admire their bold spirit.

Here’s a reading list. I'm putting this here so I can get back to it easily myself, as I don't have time right now to dig into what's there. I'm on deadline, due to deliver the second draft of my manuscript at the end of the week, while also editing a deluge stories for the magazine, the current issue of which ships this week.

In the category of things that matter not at all in the grand scheme of things, I had my first viral tweet ever. I have no idea why this one blew up, but more than a week later it is still getting liked and retweeted all through the day. There is no way I can possibly read everyone's comments, which makes me think that maybe I prefer when it's just my little group of fellow tweeters, Rebecca and Brittany and Allison and Candice and a few others, having a little like-fest on the sidelines. Still, I thought I should note that for no rhyme of reason, this happened.




12 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I have jealousy for a trip to Cabo. Actually I have jealousy for a trip to any damn place. Helping someone move sounds good! Congratulations on going viral. Is NYC cleared for indoor dining, and are the bars open? Bars are just the work of the devil in terms of spread. Ours are closed again in AZ after our unintelligent governor opened them up and cases spiked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, no bars, no indoor dining, no movie theaters or Broadway shows or concerts, no in person church services, no gyms, and everyone is to be wearing masks, although I do see people getting lax where that's concerned. Hair salons are now open, some retail stores, but really, the city still feels a bit in limbo. I have no idea what's going to happen with schools in the fall. I trust our governor will make a reasoned decision though. I've never been more glad to live in a blue state. Stay safe, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I stayed in hotels when I brought J. to Michigan (just your run of the mill airport Hampton Inns, as there aren't many choices around there). It felt safe-ish. I wore my mask when in any public or shared space, and wiped down all of the handles and doorknobs and remotes, etc. The hotels were almost empty in June--I'm not sure how they will be in August or September when I return. It was the airport that was the sketchiest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, i bet the hotels will still be empty in August, at least I hope so, for both of us. May we travel safely on our respective journeys!

      Delete
  3. Our province is opening back up and COVID cases are rising. What a surprise.

    The big guy and I did travel to Southern Alberta and Southern Saskatchewan and felt safe. No cases of COVID in any of the places we stayed.

    I love that quote, "angry is just sad's bodyguard". It's so true. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, I imagine hotels are safe but my husband is now saying we can drive to Boston and back in the same day, as it's only three and a half hours away. This tells me he doesn't feel safe yet in a hotel and since he has some underlying conditions, I will go along with that.

      Delete
  4. Truth there. No wonder it’s fine viral.
    Yes, the tourist areas of Mexico are doing their best to welcome visitors safely. My fear is not for the visitors but for the people of Mexico. From what I hear, many tourists are not making as requested. I am not surprised. I’m sure your niece is though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I too worry about the people of Mexico. It would be such justice for them to close their borders to us. Alas, people have to make a living.

      Delete
  5. I just sat outside in a Garden Centre cafe with my daughter. It was the first normal thing we've done for ages. We sanitised our hands, wore masks when we walked inside, but still there is that feeling of fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL Cool Joe, you were probably just fine, being outdoors. I know what you mean, though.

      Delete
  6. Very cautious here, numbers are rising again since the restrictions were eased but thankfully, people react quickly, apart from a small percentage of couldn't care less/nobody I know got it thinkers.
    I cycled into our suburb center to pay my library fees and usually at this time of the year, I would stop at one of the outdoor cafes for a cup and a chat with whoever is around, but all I wanted to do was get away. Strange how my mind changed over the months.

    We try to support our favourite places through take out orders but there has to be a lot of rethinking and reshaping for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on the driving - but in any case I've had friends recommend an AirBnB or the like instead of a hotel since you'd have control over ventilation/opening windows in a space with much less and not as random traffic using recycled hotel air.

    ReplyDelete