Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Catching up

My husband rises long before me each morning, and by the time I shamble out to the kitchen to make my coffee, he's already in his chair at the dining table beside the window, maps of far flung places lighting up his laptop screen. Beside him on the window sill are his growing retinue of orchids, some in humid terrariums mimicking greenhouses, new buds opening to him daily.

Memory is arbitrary and whimsical. I was stirring milk into my coffee this morning and suddenly the sound of the metal spoon clinking against the ceramic cup took me back to sitting next to my mother on her back porch in St. Lucia, the sun slanting under salmon colored awnings as she delicately stirred sugar into her tea, always in a dainty teacup with a handle bowed like a dancer's skirt, maybe a piece from her Wedgwood china collection, such elegance gave her joy. The sense of her with me was so strong. The sun slanted in through the kitchen window and I felt my mother there.

A few things I had wanted to write about when I was feeling frozen:

1) Three more days until the release of Hamilton, the entire stage production filmed with its original cast. It was to be released in theaters in October 2021, but when the pandemic hit, and all the Broadway shows went dark, the musical's creator Lin-Manuel Miranda decided to release the film this year instead, and beam it into everyone's homes, those with a Disney Plus streaming subscription that is, which if we didn't have, I would certainly get for this. My girl is counting down the days, but we wont be watching it together, as she's spending a week upstate with her in laws, who she and her love have not seen since before New York went into quarantine in March. We've pledged to live text as we watch this Friday. I can't wait to sing along to the songs.

2) You may recall my daughter and her boyfriend had tried to adopt a dog a few months back, but in what was for my girl a shattering turn of events they had to give the dog back to its foster as he bit my daughter several times, drawing blood and leaving bruises. He tried to bite her boyfriend, too, except he managed to keep a firmer hold on him. He also went after a child on the street when they were walking him; they held him back, but it terrified them both. An Australian terrier, the dog clearly needed space to run, and was not well suited to a city apartment. My daughter cried for days after surrendering him. She felt they had failed him, but to be completely honest, I was immensely relieved when they finally came to the decision to let him go. I didn't write about it here, because it was so painful for them, but I secretly thought, how is this going to work with a baby? Yes, I'm looking forward to grandchildren, and my kids know it. Anyway, after fostering several more dogs in the interim, ("Penance," my girl said), they have now adopted a scrappy little pup. He's an English bulldog and schnauzer or terrier mix, a shaggy brindled three month old, and they are in love. As my daughter's boyfriend said when they picked him up last week, "When I saw him, my heart just exploded." Meet Munch.


2) On the corona virus front, New York is steadily emerging, with less than ten deaths from covid yesterday, down from a high of 800 per day at the peak in April, and hospitalizations from covid were down to less than nine hundred yesterday, down from some 18,000 a day at the height of the pandemic in April. My husband's museum re-opens today for essential staff, though not to the public. Most scientific departments are continuing to work from home until further notice, however, and when he does return, he will be able to drive and park for free in their once very expensive public garage, thus avoiding the subway. He has several underlying conditions, so must continue to be very careful.

3) Sadly, due to the idiocy and ineptitude of the narcissist in the White House, parts of the country are now dealing with the nightmare that overtook New York City in April and May. While I can't imagine anything will ever be quite as bad as we had it here in our crowded cacophony of a city, I understand that in some places hospitals are already overrun. And in Austin, a 46-year-old quadriplegic man, Michael Hickson, father of five, was refused treatment for covid by a doctor who told his wife that he had "no quality of life." His wife went to court to fight for her husband's right to care, but the court appointed a third party as the man's guardian instead of his wife, and that third party organization ratified the hospital's decision to deny treatment. Michael Hickson died on June 11 because a doctor decided that someone's beloved wasn't worth making every effort to save. I was so gripped by rage, which was really crushing sorrow, that I could barely read the story through the flares popping behind my eyes.

4) The one bright spot in public life recently was the Supreme Court handing down some unexpectedly progressive decisions. With Chief Justice John Roberts surprising everyone by siding with the four liberal justices, the court ruled that workplaces were not allowed to discriminate against LGBTQ people; upheld the rights of DACA recipients to live and work in the country; and struck down an extreme abortion law in Louisiana that would have removed women's ability to obtain safe and legal procedures. Granted, the rulings in each these cases did not completely close the door against conservatives bringing new challenges, but for now, I'll take the wins.

5) Perhaps equally as significant as the cases decided were the cases the Supreme Court refused to weigh in on, including a Second Amendment case to extend the open carry rights of gun owners, and a case to compel state lawmakers to turn over undocumented people to federal authorities, which would have done away with sanctuary cities like New York and Los Angeles. While I'm happy SCOTUS let the lower court decisions stand in these two instances, I do wish the justices had taken a case against qualified immunity for police officers who use excessive force against citizens. Oh well. You win some, you lose some, you fight another day.

6) Finally, in the week's most exciting news, my son and his love are coming over to spend the day with us tomorrow. My boy has been working with covid patients almost every day for months, so he's stayed away from us since March. But he's been on vacation from the firehouse for two weeks, and continues to have no symptoms, so we've decided to risk social contact as we're all missing each other mightily. "I long to see that boy," my husband said as we lay reading in bed a few night ago. Tomorrow we will see him, and his lovely fiancee, too, and I will definitely hug them as soon as they walk through the door.


14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you'll get to visit with your son again! Thanks for this update to your life. It's great to know how things are going there.

    It's too bad about the dog, but it sounds like that animal had some issues and he needs to be in a different place, too. Hopefully the animal rescue organization can arrange a more appropriate home, maybe one in the country where he can run and be wild. Meanwhile -- ADORABLE new puppy!

    I love the story about how you sensed your mom's presence in the kitchen. Funny how something as innocuous as the sound of stirring coffee can bring her to mind. She's probably never far from your mind, though, is she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florida is stepping in to take New York's place in the race for Covid cases and deaths. Of course.
    I am so happy that you and yours are all well and seeming to thrive. What a joy that your daughter and her fella found their puppy. What a cutie Munch is. And how thrilled I am sure you are to be able to hug that handsome son and his beautiful love.
    I was enthralled, listening to your husband's voice on that video you posted! For some reason it never occurred to me that he would have a voice from the islands. But of course!
    As to the Supremes- good on them for the abortion ruling. Here in Florida (again with the Florida) they just signed into law a ruling that any girl under the age of 18 has to have her parent's permission to get an abortion.
    Just great.
    I had not heard about the man in Austin. That is beyond vile and evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy that you will be able to see your son and his beautiful fiancé and get those awesome hugs! They are such a lovely couple and it is also wonderful that your daughter and love are able to visit with their in-laws. Such family visits really make the heart much happier.

    Munch is just too darn cute. I think that he will be a happy little guy and having a fur baby to love and cuddle with is a win win situation.
    I am sad that they had to give their other baby back but some are just not worth risking getting bit or especially biting a child or others.
    Munch no doubt is a happy little camper.

    I didn't see the story on the man here in Austin. I have had to take a break from reading and listening to the news. It caused me such harsh episodes of depression that I deleted my news apps for now. I am sure that story would have sent me off the deep end. I did write down the name and when I can I will search it out and read it.

    I was pleased to hear about the SCOTUS decisions. Like you said, Win a few and lose a few and fight another day. I wish that they had left the decisions closed as well but yep we will take the good while we can.

    I sent you a email the other day and I am hoping that you got it. Please take care and I will talk to you soon. Hugs, Beth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this, for sharing these stories and posting the photos. I felt so much joy in reading your words, seeing that new and very lucky puppy who found such a wonderful home, and knowing that your son and his fiance are coming by for a visit. We appreciate these moments of sweet life. Take care and stay well there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Munch looks gorgeous, though I can't see anything english bulldog about him ! I have a schnauzer and know the breed well, but he hasn't got any schnauzer colouring either ! He looks mostly like a " border terrier"! Lovely pup anyway, whatever he is! I hope they get lots of joy from him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Munch is a cutie. Not every adoption goes well and every adoption is stressful.

    I read about that man in Texas; that is horrendous. Actually horrendous doesn't even begin to cover what happened to that family. He was denied treatment because he was disabled. It makes me sick to think about.

    I'm glad you'll get to see your son and his fiancé, and hug them.

    Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The puppy!!!
    I hope you will have a great time as a family together.
    I often feel my mother's presence, she visits me in the shape of a bird, any bird. But one that comes close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another full informative post from you (which I look forward to) - glad to hear some happy news for your family. I read that some hospitals were setting up rules for who would get treatment in case there was not enough room, but I had not heard this sad story from Austin.
    I often feel my Mom's presence - I speak to her often - right out loud! It is always comforting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to get your news and I'm so glad you get to see your son and his love. Munch looks like a sweet natured dog. Sometimes it's better to have a little grief now and avoid a worse grief later, but it's still hard and I sympathize with your daughter's upset.

    I hope so hard that better days are coming in the USA. I cautiously think they truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing could be better than getting to hug your loves! Munch is a great name for a puppy, his cuteness steals my heart. I can see smiles under those masks, it shows in your eyes. Stay well.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear about your day with your son and his fiancee! And the Michael Hickson story is abominable. This is probably happening elsewhere --

    ReplyDelete
  12. Texas is now third in total coronavirus cases after New York and California. yay! our governor finally instituted a mandatory mask for the whole state after resisting for months but it has no teeth so basically we are in the same situation, people who will do and people who won't don't.

    and what a terrible experience with fostering that dog. the agency should have known better than to put a dog like that in an apartment and surely they had to have known about it's aggressive tendencies. but what a cutie they ended up with!

    I know your visit with your son will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is so much love and compassion in this generous post. The beautiful hydrangeas, the lovely double portrait and that sweet happy puppy lift my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BLM demonstration, Portland, the police are proud boys and KKK as well as the mayor, brutality is the norm. The kids don't think that ought to be the norm anymore. They have been protesting for two months straight.
    The new puppy is adorable, Some dogs need jobs , like any sort of shepherd or collie mix, They need their own flock of sheep to keep them from being neurotic.

    ReplyDelete